[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you were a powerful lord or related to one in the medieval

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Reeve_and_Serfs.jpg (193KB, 800x461px) Image search: [Google]
Reeve_and_Serfs.jpg
193KB, 800x461px
If you were a powerful lord or related to one in the medieval period (700-1450), could you get away with rape and murder?
>>
>>3035266
Assuming you killed/raped a peasant and not in broad daylight, sure.
>>
>>3035275
what if it was a peasant in broad daylight. But you didn't murder anyone, just raped a teenage girl in front of her family
>>
As with all things it depends on the time and place specifically but I'd say generally not

Ireland is typically thought of being quite a lawless, rowdy place, but in the 12th century a massive island-spanning war was started because the King of Leinster was accused of rape

I don't know to what extent you could extrapolate that to the rest of Europe but in Ireland at least Kings definitely weren't thought of as being above the law
>>
>>3035266
Ask Gilles De Rais. [I wish /his/ had spoilers] No you can't
>>
>>3035266

Without modern detectives you could get away with pretty much anything back then as long as their was no witnesses:

http://listverse.com/2015/04/09/10-forgotten-serial-killers-from-the-middle-ages/

I mean, people were dying all the time from random shit. You'd could probably go the Jewish ghetto and kidnap some children to eat and no one would care.
>>
>>3035465
Which war are you referring to? Can't find a source
>>
>>3036053
>>3035465
you talking about this guy?
>Diarmait Mac Murchada

because he didn't just rape someone; he abducted the wife of a king
>>
>>3035275
That's not true though. Gilles de Rais didn't.
>>
>>3035465
>Ireland is typically thought of being quite a lawless, rowdy place, but in the 12th century a massive island-spanning war was started because the King of Leinster was accused of rape

demot macmurrough did a lot of shit before that, kidnapping and raping a rival king's wife was just the final straw that made everybody run to rory o'connor for intercession
>>
>>3035266
yes, as long as it wasn't a relative of someone else equally powerful
>>
easily

feudal juridiction system had 3 branches

>the judge is the king, in the issues against nobility
>the judge is the noble, in the issues against serfs
>the judge is the clergy, in the issues against anything religion related

clergy was pretty separated but depending on their influence they make get cases that werent their business

killing a serf, okay

theres no police, obviously if you kill your own, you wont want a case, it died, it was an accident, it didnt survive the gentle punishment you ruled for something he did, whatever

the only way if someone, a family member? the local judge of the serfs (appointed by the noble though) makes a case and carries its bum ALL the way up to kings place, and gets the case on court of the king

mind you kings are busy ppl, they dont sit for weeks

in short, yes
if you did it smart, not brutally beheading your serfs infront of 20 others that could cause an uproar and nasty rumours spreading about you, you can safely get away with murder
>>
>>3035626
Well he kinda went over The top with it
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.