[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the Brits fail so massively at the Somme while the French

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: téléchargement (1).jpg (13KB, 313x161px) Image search: [Google]
téléchargement (1).jpg
13KB, 313x161px
Why did the Brits fail so massively at the Somme while the French accomplished all of their objectives on the first day ? And why did the French kill in overall more Germans than the British during the whole course of the battle despite having a much smaller amount of troops deployed on the Somme sector ?
>>
>>3024335
Most of the Somme participants on the British end was from Kitchener's Army, which had only just been put together. On the French end they were veterans.
>>
>>3024335
Artillery coordination and Haig's cavalry autism.

The British artillery failed to pull off their "creeping barrage" technique properly. Their shells did not destroy German barbed wire as intended nor did they provide sufficient cover for the infantry (artillery officers were operating on the assumption that the infantry would advance MUCH faster than they actually did).

The French artillery was much more coordinated. However they did not successfully execute a creeping barrage properly either; the success of the French artillery had more to do with weakening German positions than providing effective cover for the infantry.
Allied commanders in general severely underestimated the sophistication of the German defences even at this point in the war but the French basically got lucky here.

Also the French commanders weren't as autistically obsessed with creating a breakthrough for a cavalry charge as the British were. The British had an absolute shit ton of cavalry waiting in reserve in order to exploit a breakthrough which never came, which tied up lots of resources, horses and men which could have been used to greater effect elsewhere in the battle. The French had by this point relegated their cavalry almost entirely to a logistical role, which was the only real use for horses on the western front (i.e. as beasts of burden rather than a mobile attacking force), but the British were too stuck in their old ways.

The only thing I'll give the British at the Somme is their use of tanks was more effective than people give them credit for. Most people seriously underrate the psychological effects of tanks in this battle. Despite their mechanical failures, they were morale-boosters for the British and the Germans were absolutely terrified of them.
>>
>>3024335
why do you make loaded threads?
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.