[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm writing a historical fiction piece, just for the fun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1498772529771.jpg (88KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
1498772529771.jpg
88KB, 736x736px
I'm writing a historical fiction piece, just for the fun of it, and I was wondering if you guys would provide some insight on something.

Let's say that a time traveler got sent back to medieval Europe. He's wearing modern clothes, and is built like a modern dude, he can't speak the language of the locals, and he has a basic highschool education. Also, for the sake of survival, we'll say that he's been magically given basic immunities to hsitorically accurate diseases, and he's been given a course on staying clean in the environment.

Do you think it is realistic to say that commoners of the time would see him and say, "Hey, we should take this guy to our leader and see if he knows anything about this."? What do you think a village elder or a local lord would do with such a person, realistically?
>>
>>3022863
Also, what the fuck? That isn't what I posted, I don't even have that image on my phone... I'll try reposting maybe?
>>
They probably would consider you as some sort of the foreign nobility from far away country based on you being clean and having strange clothes.
>>
>>3022863
You're talking about an area spanning a continent and a timeline going centuries. You need to be more specific.
>>
They would do what happened with Kaspar Hauser in the early 1800s, hand him to the authorities and question him. In Medieval times there would probably be more fear and suspicion, as it was extremely rare for the common person to leave their local shire/county let alone nation. Anything unusual would be regarded with fear. The medieval mindset was incredibly symbol-oriented, they may have seen the stranger as being a harbinger of something, similar to the legend about Cortes arriving among the Aztecs and being thought an incarnation of a god. In Europe he would be interrogated by both civic and religious authorities, on suspicion of being either a spy or a spirit of some sort. This is naturally just an opinion of course. People are unpredictable - it's hard to say what would happen.
>>
>>3022863
It might be fun if they treated him like a simpleton? Ooh but then have the local wenches rescue Chad and have an orgy.
>>
>>3022863
They would probably think hes a noble or a foreigner or a monk, call him a cunt, and fling mud at him
Others would play jokes on him and fuck with him
Nobility might be keen to pick him up as a curiosity at court

No one would think he has leadership ability
No one would think hes smart
No one would believe anything he says
And no one would give him the time of day beyond morbid curiosity

Now if he came back with the knowhow to make more modern tools and the like he would be instantly an asset and important. Otherwise hes some shmuck and random cunt to paesant man #8962
>>
>>3022956
>They would do what happened with Kaspar Hauser
Was he truly /ourguy/ or was he just pretending to be a mentally ill shut-in manchild?
>>
>>3022863
Either burned as witch or people think him as eccentric aristocrat or mad man. Also DEPENDS on period and exact time. And if he is sent to urban or rural part of country.
>>
File: those darn time travelers.jpg (93KB, 584x322px) Image search: [Google]
those darn time travelers.jpg
93KB, 584x322px
>>3022863
>>3023399
I seriously doubt there was any period where a guy with weird clothes who didn't speak the language would be burned at the stake straight off - you know, unless he came in through a glowing portal of light or some shit.

It might be bad, if he popped in during or near a battle and was wearing the colors of the foreign army - particularly if the invading army didn't speak the local language. That'd be a good way to make your time travel trip real short.

Beyond that, I think our time traveler would be treated like any other lost foreigner. If he popped in a rural village they'd probably bring him to town or to the lord, and toss him at the local magistrate - barring the usual drama involved in these sorts of plots "saves the farmer's daughters from wolves" or what not.
>>
>>3023345
I don't think we'll ever know. Very mysterious. Fact that he was stabbed to death is odd as well. Who the hell was he really?
>>
>>3022863
>What do you think a village elder or a local lord would do with such a person, realistically?
Assuming there were no aggravating circumstances involved in his arrival, the lord and his tradesmen would probably waste a lot of time trying to figure out what language the guy spoke and where he came from, so they could confirm he isn't an enemy and return him to his people.

After a while, unless the traveler proves himself useful in some way, they'd probably give up on this. If they were feeling generous, and the traveler was particularly ingratiating, they might pair him up with some tutor in an effort to teach them their language until he could communicate something useful, and, assuming he wasn't stupid enough to try to explain he was a time traveler, maybe find him some simple vocation after he had the ability to carry a rudimentary conversation.

This is, more or less, based on the experiences of lost sailors in distant foreign lands and some of the stories that surround such displaced folk. At its core, this situation isn't too far removed from that, provided this time travel was entirely unplanned.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.