[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buddha sat under a tree at the age of 29, and after 6 years at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: buddha-225x300.jpg (14KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
buddha-225x300.jpg
14KB, 225x300px
Buddha sat under a tree at the age of 29, and after 6 years at the age of 35 he became 'enlightened'. He then wandered the earth for over 40 years until he died.

Are we supposed to believe he didn't become more enlightened over time? Buddhism teaches that everything changes, but apparently the Buddha's mind was static?
>>
Is it a bigger leap than Christ being resurrected?
>>
>>3021614
Yes, because that actually happened
>>
>>3021566
>imagine a number greater than infinity
>>
>>3021566
There are many sects within Buddhism, some that hold that enlightenment can occur instantaneously and others that believe that it is a gradual process that happens in stages. Mostly, enlightenment is a seen as a path. Gautama, "The Buddha", didn't go from zero to buddha in a second, it took him a while.
>>
>>3021566
Enlightened is just the process of waking up from the delusion.

>Buddha mind was static

Buddha changed stance a few times. Mainly because arguments by others made valid points that he didn't consider or didnt put emphasis on.

For example, he didn't originally want women to join the order because of motherhood and the trials being much more difficult for women. However later changed it because his aunt had gathered a group of women dedicated enough to be monks. So he ordained them.

>>3021631
There are infinite numbers between 1 and 2. Then there's 3. The 3 is clearly bigger than the infinite between 1 and 2. So a number greater than infinite exist. Infinite can be eclipsed and can form sets of infinite, and sets of sets of infinites and so on. But there is a limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrU9YDoXE88
>>
>>3021618
sources: Bible
>>
>>3021654
>implying I need more sources
>>
>>3021566
>>3021642
>>3021649

Nobody has ever achieved "enlightenment". It's a spook.
>>
>>3021631
>Imagine a number greater than infinity.
Okay. Infinity +1

Proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80fbdQBwbO4
>>
I don't know that Buddha would stop becoming wiser over time; the issue would be that from the limited perspective of the average person the changes would be meaningless.
>>
>>3021566
That's not the story at all. He sat under a tree for 40 days or so after having been an ascetic for 6 years.
>>
>>3021566

ENLIGHTENMENT IS NOT GRADATED; IT IS TOTAL.
>>
>>3021566
How does one start Buddhism? What book should I buy?
>>
>>3021661
>he believes in the spook meme.

Lovely way to justify doing horrendous things to other humans.
>>
>>3023527
What the Buddha Taught - Richard F. Gombrich.
>>
>>3023527

anything by thich nhat hanh
>>
>>3021667
Infinity+1=infinity
>>
I recommend "In the Buddha's Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi. Anthology of discourses from the various Nikayas of Theravada Buddhism.
>>
>>3021566

The Buddha's life story is mythological, it's likely he was a monk or priest of some kind, not some spoiled rich kid who never saw suffering (I mean come on, even today that would be close to impossible). But it doesn't really matter, what Buddha was or did, only the lessons he taught to his followers are important. Buddhists don't worship Buddha as a god and don't seek to emulate his life slavishly like Christcucks do.
>>
>>3021661
Its Not enlightenment is ego death
>>
File: 1484527118666.jpg (44KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
1484527118666.jpg
44KB, 1536x864px
>>3021566
the whole point of the dispassion from sensuality and becoming is precisely that there is an end to the path meaning that there is nothing else to do after this, and it is a good thing to do.

Even if the ''path'' left you in a good state and is not reversible, if there would be no end to the path, then the path would not be worth it.

People believe that ending something is bad, but it is actually good. An everlasting quest with no clear knowledge of ending is bad.
>>
>>3021667
Yu-gi-oh is such a bullshit game somtimes.
>>
>>3023577
>my nigga
>>
File: cooper.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
cooper.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>>3021566
Tell me about the Dugpas and the hat sects
>>
>>3024415
>Buddhists don't worship Buddha as a god and don't seek to emulate his life slavishly like Christcucks do.

yes they do, there is nothing wrong with that he even describes it as a boat to get across the river, there is nothing wrong with the way christians do it either infact christians of the present day, are less devoted which is what brings them failure in there salvation
>>
>>3024514
So he was effectively dead?
>>
>>3024965

No, they don't. The Buddha expressly instructed his disciples not to worship him, and that the gods are actually lower, karmicly speaking, than humans.
>>
>>3021631
Infinity is a concept not a number
>>
>>3026306
Yes.

"He" "is" "effectively" "dead"
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.