[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How should I learn reading latin? I don't want to be able

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: down.jpg (15KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
down.jpg
15KB, 276x183px
How should I learn reading latin?

I don't want to be able to talk latin, I just want to be able to read and understand. I was thinking of buying ORBERG's lingua latina,is that a good choice?
How long should it take before I can read a real text?
I studied latin for 6 years in school but that was mostly grammatica and translating sentences, that's not how you learn to read a language
>>
>>3021204
also my first language is french but my english is pretty decent and I have some notions in dutch so learning a new language should not be an issue in itself and french / english allow me to easily understand simple sentences in latin
>>
>>3021204
learn the dialect and meter of ancient texts (dactylic hexameter) and learn how to look at latin sentences holistically instead of linearly. Vocab will take time, but looking at entire sentences and lines as constructions rather than strings of connected ideas helps with understanding the language
>>
>>3021257
you mean focusing on getting the general idea instead of focusing on every word?
>>
>>3021269
no, every word is important, especially when in the case of participles and subjunctive verbs one word can tell the story of an entire english sentence. I mean that changing your brain to look at classical Latin texts in a different manner than you do with modern languages, mostly because all latin texts are written as poetry not in prose or paragraph form
>>
>>3021204
I'd recommend starting with Ecce Romani (initially very easy but progressively more complex Latin textbook). It's probably available online somewhere. Once you've got a fair amount of that down you could try Fabulae Graecae, and after that you could start on the Aeneid if you have the patience.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.