[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what, in our popular view of pirate culture, is accurate,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Capture-of-Blackbeard.jpg (212KB, 1332x949px) Image search: [Google]
Capture-of-Blackbeard.jpg
212KB, 1332x949px
So what, in our popular view of pirate culture, is accurate, and not accurate, in regards to their manners, ships, clothing, speech, customs, etc?
>>
Probably that they made the victims walk the plank. That didn't happen.

Also a lot of people think they don't exist anymore, but there's a hell of a lot of them in Somalia.
>>
>>3019124
And SE asia. Especially Indonesia-Malaysia
>>
>>3018984
Wow it's great to see an actual thread that isn't shit right now.
In some cultures and time periods like Roman republic, there is some evidence that pirates were basically a group of outlaws they likely formed as a brotherhood with egalitarian roots and communistic principles amoung each other as a reaction to inequality of their society. They shared everything and voted on who their leader was to be and what their course of action was. Any leader they perceived to be unfair they could depose/ mutiny against.
I mostly got this from a book called Invisible Romans: Prostitutes, Outlaws, Slaves. Good read.
In other periods, like the golden age, there is speculation that Waring nations would hire them to sabotage enemy fleets. That's where the term buccaneers comes from.
>>
>>3018984
why, are, you, typing like, this,?
>>
>>3019338
Probably phone or tablet poster. Likely phone.
>>
I'd say the stereotypical "pirate accent" is actually fairly accurate since most pirates in those days came from the west country in England
>>
Wost scum.

Ruined the honor of sailors

Worst fucking scum , glorified by jews
>>
>>3019650
why did so many come from the west country?
>>
>>3020791
Depends on the time period desu.
As said before, often they were simply bribed by another countries during war to sabatoge the enemy fleet.
other times, they were just
bandits,looking to not be poor by taking from expensive ships.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.