[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me anons, why should i share my knowledge with you for free,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Sophist Protagoras.jpg (10KB, 246x205px) Image search: [Google]
Sophist Protagoras.jpg
10KB, 246x205px
Tell me anons, why should i share my knowledge with you for free, instead of selling it to others and make a lots of money? Or in short form: Why sould i be a philospher and not a sophist?
Set that i have something of worth to share.
>>
>>3009349
Knowledge is invaluable.
Therefore, you can't put a price on it, neither trade it like any other merchandise.
>>
>>3009406

But every day books are sold. Certainly most people want something for their work, at least so much that they can live from it.
>>
>>3009415
Selling the container isn't the same than selling the content. Neither selling the effort behind it is the same than selling the object itself.

I could sell a biography of some random dude, like Epicurus, but that doesn't mean I'm selling Epicurus himself, or his knowledge. Otherwise, it would be like those chinks who sell and buy, literally forest air.
>>
>>3009434

So say you're a researcher who spent several years of your life writing a book, only for someone to take your book, reprint it, and undercut the shit out of you (because they only need to worry about printing costs, not labor costs. Hell, online this would be nil). Would this not be an issue? It makes the research aspect untenable.

It sounds really nice to be the recipient of knowledge for free, and it's fair enough with people like Epicurus who are long dead, but there are often living people producing knowledge who need to support themselves and their research.
>>
>>3009434
Then i will change my question for you.
Why should i type my knowledge on a website, instead of selling a book or selling my spoken words as a teacher?
>>
>>3009450
That´s the point. Kant has written and researched most of his life to write the critic of pure reason, a good book takes a lot of time.
I mean i would share it for free, if i would be rich, but i´m certainly not.
>>
>>3009452
Because no one will buy it anyway until you're dead
>>
>>3009452
Easy moral answer: because generosity and given that knowledge is free, it should be given for free.

More honest option: because it's nice to feel yourself as more intelligent than the other guys.

>>3009450
Well, most scientist these days work on universities and such, and usually are funded by public programs and private donations. Plus, lots of them are not exactly rich. These guys don't make a living out of researching, but live to do research, and usually are fine with sharing their knowledge as long as you buy them a beer.

However, I do admit there's people who work with private companies, but it could be said they don't do research for the love of it, but for economic purposes, which while not immoral or wrong, is a whole different beast. It could be compared to digging to find exotic rocks to increase a particular collection (neat, I found sodium lithium boron silicate hydroxide!), versus digging to find iron or gold.
>>
>>3009476
That maybe true, Nietzsche for example, but some have luck and get attention during their lifetime.
I think it is worth a try. I could live in a barrel though, instead of trying to sell my work.
Michel de Montaigne has written in his essay´s that philosopy is for those who have enough wealth to live, this seems unfair to me. I mean look at most of those shitheads who are rich, they aren´t interested in philosophy.
>>
>>3009483

Yeah but feeling more intelligent than the others doesn´t take the feeling of hunger away. I mean i would gladly do research and writing for the rest of my life, but if i´m forced to do another job to get a foundation for my work it is only distracting me from my purpose. I´m not a PhD and actually i don´t want it, because i´m too autistic to do that, i rather stay an autodidact.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.