[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was there no prospect of noble women having a chance to inherit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Was there no prospect of noble women having a chance to inherit property or titles throughout the history of Japan? Like even in the Heian period? I know it was considerably less(if any) in the periods with the rise of the military class and shogunate and even more so with warring states period, but I just wanted to know if it ever really happened.

In Europe for example, though it was still difficult since preference was always for the uncle or nephew (if no son)and even then, the daughter would be expected to marry and the husband could take over most control but at least there was some prospect. Hence why dudes were super pissed at no male heir as we all know (and super selective with who the daughter married). And you had women like Isabella of Castillo and Eleanor d'Aquitaine who at least in theory, inherited those lands, hence why noblemen wanted to marry them and it was seen as appropriate.

In Japan, however, it seems males inheriting was so important that they would adopt a son before giving it to a daughter who I guess, once inherited, would otherwise then marry a guy who could take over. And in the case of an emperor who died but had a young son, it seems the grandfather on his mother's side would take over as regent rather than his mother in most if not all cases. It's like they really did NOT want noble men from another family taking over anything when they marry their inherited daughters. They also didn't want women ruling at all. It's just interesting considering how even Europe was not so biased.
Are my observations incorrect /his/? Help me out.

And I want real answers based on some evidence, not /pol/ memes and women suck jokes so you fags can just fuck off.
>>
>>3006600
>And inb4 muh feminism and angry feminist
Nope. Just a historian making an observation as it should be.
>>
File: EmpressJinguInKorea.jpg (100KB, 800x381px) Image search: [Google]
EmpressJinguInKorea.jpg
100KB, 800x381px
>>3006600

Well there have been Empress in Japan.

If I recall correctly there was a old Chinese chronnicle or document or whatever (one of the first notices about Japan) in which is said that it´s a country of "queens".
>>
>>3006600

It's more that the Japanese kept the custom of adopting adult males into the family, something the Greeks and Romans did but that died out in Europe after the fall of Rome. Europeans have traditionally been just as averse to leaving land to women, but they didn't have this "safety net" of being able to adopt a man to inherit.
>>
>>3006631
Oh that was in the earlier premedival (yayoi, asuka, nara, and kofun) periods then? I heard of queen Himiko in the yayoi and kufon periods but she may have been a myth and their are few sources that write about her. Besides, that's a not really what I'm getting at anyway.
Did all suddenly change during or after Heian period? A run down if you have no idea what I am saying by using these titles to define time periods.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Japan
>>
>>3006678
Yeah I also heard of the male adoption being practiced in Rome and used almost solely for the purpose of passing inheritence.
Yet, there was numerous examples of women owning property and inherit some things from their fathers even if not explicitly titles (women couldn't get into politics anyway). There was even some examples of female regents during the empire when their heir was young. You don't even see this at all in Japan except in classical periods of the yayoi or kofun where there was like or 2 or something>>3006631
. They can't even get the history on it right because their was so little written about it or so much buggery about the sources.
>>
>>3006741

I know a bit about the time periods name´s but I do not know when or why the change came.
I did read, very long ago that women being excluded from the Imperial succesion came as a reaction, but what does that explain?
>>
Damn does no one on this board know anything about Japanese history besides le warring states period and Edo meme? Like damn, it seems I would get more information if I made a thread
about female inheritence in China(which was also arguably scant). Or if I made a thread about Thai or Vietnamese history. I blame historian bias of wanting to focus on the two meme periods mentioned. Does anyone at least have a way I can get my hands on a translated version of Nihon shoki or kojiki( the records of ancient matters) or better yet, other history books based off of them?
>>
>>3006865
Women being removed from imperial succession came about from Japan,at first, trying to be just like "big brother China" who had the same practice. Specifically, after they adopted Buddhism and Confuscianism (though I would contribute it more to the latter).
Now I'm just no sure how much this change penetrated Japanese culture as a whole and at what period if it did.
Was it so much to the point that basically no noble could even bear the thought of having to let their daughter inherit? Or was it purely practical in terms of they couldn't bear the thought of the husband she married from another clan taking over anything? How absolute was this anyway?
Were there literally no females ruling as regent with their young sons after Jingu even defacto? Seems pretty obtuse. Even Rome was a bit more flexible if only by defacto.
>>
>>3006910
Man, Japanese historical records are full of bullshit. Go ahead, read the Kojiki and the Nihon Shoki, but take them with a grain of salt. It's a bunch of origin myths and tales and shinto traditions, with a side of history. The reason everyone focuses more on the Sengoku period onward, is because there is more stuff to discuss, that is more often than not verifiable. (often by cross reference through western accounts)
>>
>>3006954
Are you saying that all of classical Japanese history is just memes?
Why were Japs so useless in writing down their own history? All they did was just write with fantastic myths and stories? Now I'm sure Herodotus and Plutarch were no empiricists and was likely full of shit when and bias with things but damn at least they tried to write coherent histories and dates, not just stories and myths.
>>
>>3006954
There is also the Heian period I guess but I heard a lot of it is also from the tale of Genji which was jusy memes as well.
>>
bump at least for some EDUCATED opinions on the matter. Emphasis on educated.
>>
>>3007000
Just like all East Asian history, most events have a historical basis but are heavily mythologized and embellished. For much of Japan's early history, there are only one or two sources and they do not agree more than 80% of the time.

China has a much better kept historical record because writing originated in the 17th century BC there.
Japan adopted Chinese writing as their original writing system in the 600's-700's and that is where the oldest written historical accounts begin.

Anything before that period in Japan is, unironically, not history.
>>
>>3008067
Still pretty lame that they're historians couldn't be a bit responsible and actually write shit down until the Heian period, even if they used chinese. Most of the histories were from the perspective of the Chinese.
Back to the original question then. Because of their Chinese adopted confuscian principles and Buddhism, did they just forever never put women in line for inheritance? I'm not even talking about the imperial line. Even of property or territory? Was it just adopt a guy you deem worthy as your son if you have no brother or true son or were their some instances where they caved and had no choice but to name a female the heir like Henry VII or Ferdinand?
I'm sure even the Chinese had a few exceptions.
What the hell was the purpose of a noble man ever agreeing to marry a legitimate noble woman from a presigious family then? Just to have kids and a gesture of good faith by the dad? Why not just marry a bastard or something?
>>
>>3006910
those aren't the only periods people focus on, you dunce. japanese historians write about all kinds of periods,

check these out
https://pastebin.com/PMPY1kgS
https://pastebin.com/xKPmXdcU
>>
>>3008640
If one of those are the Heian period I will be very disappointed. That's another meme period they focus on most of the time.
>>
>>3007000
Here's an example. You would trust Herodotus' accounts of the Persian wars, even if there is a bias in his writing, more than Hesiod's Theogony. The Japanese chronicles are more like the latter.
>>
>>3008922
What made them so superstitious and less empirical before the medieval period?
>>
Buuuump
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.