[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was told recently that China didn't have a concept of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: KMT flag.png (28KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
KMT flag.png
28KB, 1024x683px
I was told recently that China didn't have a concept of nationalism, or even a proper name for their country, until the Kuomintang/Nationalist Party created it from scratch and the Communists continued propagating it.

This seems like it doesn't make much sense because I've also been told that modern Chinese hypernationalism has its roots in a "Middle Kingdom syndrome" where China has always considered itself to be special and superior to all other cultures, which sounds a lot like nationalism.

Is this an actual fact or some kind of misinterpretation of what is meant by nationalism?
>>
>>3006379
>until the Kuomintang/Nationalist Party created it from scratch and the Communists continued propagating it.
Nope.jpg.

Considering the KMT just continued the "Zhonghua Minzu" memes of the Qing Dynasty, just rebranded as "Five Races, One Nation."
>>
Nationalism is a concept that wasn't fully conceived in the mid 1800's.
>>
>>3006379
There are two different mainstream approaches in nationalism. The first one is primordialism, the other one is constructivism.
>>
>>3006386
>>3006379
To add to what I said earlier: it does have to be said that what was "China" was an Imperial identity, not an ethnic one. It does have ethnic elements since it upholds one culture above all others (i.e. """""Han"""" Culture, and even what was "Han" is hard to define), but it didn't exclude people out of the Imperial Cultural identity by virtue of their race.

A "Barbarian" would cease being so once he is acculturated. Hell that works in reverse, those who were born Chinese and born into a cultured could lose their Chinkness by aiding barbarians.
>>
>>3006386
So there was a concept of a Chinese nation before then and I've just been bullshitted? What about the idea that they didn't have a name for their country? I thought they always called themselves the Middle Kingdom/Zhongguo.
>>
>>3006379
>Tfw never get to see all east Asians using sun flag because autistic commies insist on using star flag
>>
>>3006408
>it does have to be said that what was "China" was an Imperial identity, not an ethnic one. It does have ethnic elements since it upholds one culture above all others (i.e. """""Han"""" Culture, and even what was "Han" is hard to define), but it didn't exclude people out of the Imperial Cultural identity by virtue of their race.
>A "Barbarian" would cease being so once he is acculturated. Hell that works in reverse, those who were born Chinese and born into a cultured could lose their Chinkness by aiding barbarians.
So being "Chinese" was similar to being a "Roman citizen" in that anybody could be one if they fulfilled the requirements of civilizing and integrating?
>>
File: upstander19.jpg (38KB, 1000x600px)
upstander19.jpg
38KB, 1000x600px
>>3006416
Literally masonic bullshit.
>>
>>3006427
>>3006410

Pretty much.

As a national identity, however, it isn't picky with race so long as bitches acculturate.
>>
>>3006820
This doesn't seem to be the case in the modern era at least, when did it change into being an ethno-nationalist one?
>>
>>3006844
Officially it still is: the CCP is very wary of Chauvinism among the Han populace.

Unofficially, the Chinese public are getting nationalistic.

It just seems like it because China is being blamed of racially displacing people in minority lands. When all they're doing is encouraging development because the dumbfucks in Tibet and Uyghurland dont wanna come down their autistholes for shit. You don't see the same thing happening in Inner Mongolia or Manchuria.
>>
>>3006379
>or even a proper name for their country
Zhong Guo?
>>
Interesting thread. Please carry on everyone.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.