[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why wasn't there any attempt to kill all of mosquitoes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

Why wasn't there any attempt to kill all of mosquitoes in history?
>>
How would you go about killing trillions of bugs?
>>
>>3004435
There used to be localized efforts in the US back in the 60s and 70s. In wetlands/coastal areas they used to have vehicles that would drive around spraying chemical clouds to kill off mosquitos and other bugs that bite like greenheads. The problem was that the smell of the chemicals was sweet so kids would follow the trucks on bikes and as it turns out those chemicals were likely carcinogenic.
>>
>>3004435
The last time we tried it ended up with Nuremberg Trials, so we aren't trying it anymore.
>>
Shouldn't most of those mosquito kills be on exponentially proliferating savages?
who even cares at this point
>>
>>3004435
Brazil is pioneering a technique involving releasing huge numbers of A level Chad mosquitoes that are engineered to be carriers for dominant traits that cause fatal birth defects and sterility. They release them in huge numbers, they outcompete the beta wild mosquitoes for mates, and a majority of mosquitoes next year die shortly after birth, if not before. Repeat as needed. If it works it's probably going to end up being adopted in other places too.
>>
>>3004435

What benefit do mosquitos actually provide to the biosphere? Serious question, what negative effects would we see if mosquitos ceased to exist?
>>
>>3004909
more Africans
>>
>>3004944

wtf I hate DDT now
>>
>>3004953
If you truly purport to care about "the biosphere" you would support the eradication of as many human beings as possible
>>
>>3004967

I care about the biosphere insofar as it is beneficial to humanity. And no, africans aren't human.
>>
>>3004909
Bats
>>
>>3004435
How do you die to a freshwater snail?
>>
>>3005038
>The classic sign of urogenital schistosomiasis is haematuria (blood in urine). Fibrosis of the bladder and ureter, and kidney damage are sometimes diagnosed in advanced cases. Bladder cancer is another possible complication in the later stages. In women, urogenital schistosomiasis may present with genital lesions, vaginal bleeding, pain during sexual intercourse, and nodules in the vulva. In men, urogenital schistosomiasis can induce pathology of the seminal vesicles, prostate, and other organs. This disease may also have other long-term irreversible consequences, including infertility.
Painfully
>>
>>3005051
Woah that's fucking brutal. Remind me to stop trusting snail bros.
>>
>>3005057
And the 10,000 estimate in OP is very conservative, the WHO thinks it's 200,000 a year dead from snail larvae complications
>>
>>3004435

>Hippos 500

wait what?
>>
>>3005179
Hipppos are fucking brutal mate, do not fuck with them
>>
>>3004450
They still spray for mosquitoes, just not with DDT because that kills pelicans. In Louisiana you get a weekly gas truck drive-by, and a couple times a month a C-130 skims the treetops spraying insecticide.

From the stories my parents tell me, the Gulf Coast would be pretty miserable without the constant eradication efforts; the downside is the near complete loss of bats, fireflies, and possibly flying squirrels.
>>
>>3004450
Stupid kids ruin a good thing once again.
>>
>>3004450
They still do. Fuckers woke me up at 5 this morning.

The changes in the climate are making the issue worse tho. It's hotter for longer which means mosquitos are breeding in greater numbers and for longer.
>>
>>3004850
The best part about it if it works is it targets mosquitos that bite humans. It leaves the species that dont bother humans alone so other animal life wont starve.
>>
>>3004993
>And no, africans aren't human.
they can interbreed with humans and create fertile offspring
that makes them human by definition
>>
>>3004435
Four Pests campaign in China
>>
>>3004435
I don't know, it's about time. Flies too while we're at it, don't give a shit what negative effects that brings.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.