[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /his/, /tg/ here, and I need some help on a concept I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Fiero-Animals-Modern-Knight.jpg (827KB, 1600x979px) Image search: [Google]
Fiero-Animals-Modern-Knight.jpg
827KB, 1600x979px
Hey /his/, /tg/ here, and I need some help on a concept I'm working on.

So imagine an English Crusader from the First Crusade was cast into modern New York during the Siege of Acre by ancient Persian wizardry.

Being well educated and relatively intelligent, as well as well funded and from noble blood, what can be assumed consists of his common knowledge? What languages does he speak, write, and read? Given that he was in the middle of a pitched battle what does his equipment consist of? Will he even be able to communicate with modern Americans? And if so, with what degree of difficulty and in what language? What would he have the hardest time comprehending, keeping in mind that he's rather intelligent? What would he adapt to rather easily? What are some things that come to mind about the scenario (barring handwavy magic)?
>>
>>3002590
Well you could probably assume he speaks Old English perhaps French so he wouldn't be able to actually understand anyone.
>>
>>3002590
considering how bastardized modern english is compared to old english, he wouldn't understand diddly squat. he'd get scammed by shopkeepers trying to barter his belongings, and the food he eats will be so rich compared to what he's used to that he might get indigestion. If thugs tried to rob him, he might actually get killed if they had a gun but if they had nothing but knives and bats he'd probably kick their asses.

all in all, if you're asking me in a realistic standard, I think he dies on the streets as an illiterate hobo because culture shock and language barriers do not allow him to integrate into a society as harsh as New York City's.
>>
>>3002590
>Being well educated and relatively intelligent, as well as well funded and from noble blood, what can be assumed consists of his common knowledge?
Well, he's English, but England wasn't one of the nations that "officially" went on Crusade in the first Crusade. So language wise, he probably knows Latin, Greek, and some dialect of old French, possibly a Old English dialect, as well as a smattering of any local languages he's picked up in his travels. None of them are likely to be current. Degree of literacy is hugely variable, and there's no real way to be sure as to what he could read and write based on what he could speak.

He almost certainly knows how to ride a horse well, as well how to care for it. Add in knowledge of weapon use, armor and the care of cleaning it, and how to manage a small manor and the surrounding countryside, and contemporary military tactics. He probably has at least one hobby, so might know how to play an instrument or something.

> Given that he was in the middle of a pitched battle what does his equipment consist of?
This is before the development of plate armor, so he's got a mail coat, a helmet, a shield, a lance, at least one (but probably more) backup melee weapons, maybe a dagger secreted about his person somewhere. However, he probably had a squire carrying some or all of his backup kit, so he might not actually have all of those (sans the armor and lance) on his person. Although if the battle's been going on for a while, his lance might have broken or be discarded, and he'd probably be fighting with a sword or a mace, depending on how well armored his immediate adversaries are.
>>
>>3002590

>Will he even be able to communicate with modern Americans?
Unless he gets really lucky and runs into someone who knows Latin, almost certainly not. None of the languages he's likely to know exist unchanged in modern format besides dead ones like Latin, and MAYBE Biblical Hebrew, if he knows that one (not likely). If he's smart, he'll make towards a Church, (Which he could recognize by crosses being all over them, even if he can't read any of the writing) where he could probably at least haltingly communicate with a clergymen, get some help.

>What would he have the hardest time comprehending, keeping in mind that he's rather intelligent?
Honestly, a lot of day to day social customs and the like. Those are very hard to shake even if you know that you're supposed to do something different. Talking to a lady strolling around the street without a male protector, for instance, would be seen as very odd for someone of his standing, and he's probably going to have trouble viscerally adjusting to a flattened class system from what he's used to. Not that he wouldn't intellectually understand it, but he'd make a lot of faux pas along the way. He's also not likely to take the de facto mass atheism of the general public well.

> What would he adapt to rather easily?
Honestly, most things things that are completely novel to him, given that he could learn without cluttering of previous habits he needs to break. Once he's got the hang of modern English, a keyboard shouldn't be that hard for him to pick up the use of.

>What are some things that come to mind about the scenario (barring handwavy magic)?
I'm not sure what you mean.
>>
>>3003019
>What are some things that come to mind about the scenario (barring handwavy magic)?
>I'm not sure what you mean.

In terms of hangups that I haven't already asked about, things to consider about the Crusader in question, routes he may take to succeed in the future.

Also, another element I forgot to consider. The knight will be almost immediately picked up by a historian and curator, who has a focus in the 14th-16th century, as well as her policeman brother who is hideously corrupt, and a Saracen that likewise fell into the future with him and will enact an uneasy truce with the European.

How does this help or hamper his chances?
>>
>>3003019
>Honestly, a lot of day to day social customs and the like.

What are some common customs from that time period? If none are known what are some that would be believable? How would a knightly crusader conduct himself, considering that culture shock doesn't kill him immediately.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.