[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've heard people say that the American accent was the original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

I've heard people say that the American accent was the original accent of English lower classes and that the British accent came about because of its association with the upper classes, but is there any evidence for this? Where does this view come from? Is it a misconception?
>>
>>2994561
No
It's more like the posh accent grew in the UK and the lower class English accents is /closer/ to general American accents then it is to the posh accent.
>>
>>2994561
theres a good youtube video about this that went viral a while ago where a guy reads shakespeare in the original accent it would have been performed, basically america and britain had the same accent at one time, but they both diverged contrary to what most people think, that only the american accent diverged. I remember people commenting on the video that the original accent sounds more American than British, but personally I don't think it sounds American at all. Anyway, the expert in the video says he reconstructed the accent from studying the rhyming and poetic patterns of original unabridged shakespeare plays, which is sort of dubious but at least it kind of makes sense.
>>
>>2994561
Pre vowel shift was the original accent everything else is an unintelligible abomination.

https://youtu.be/gPlpphT7n9s
https://youtu.be/7Wl-OZ3breE
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.