[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did invading Britain really fuck over the Romans or were they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

File: r_maiden_castle_close.jpg (150KB, 554x465px) Image search: [Google]
r_maiden_castle_close.jpg
150KB, 554x465px
Did invading Britain really fuck over the Romans or were they long fucked after before that happened?
>>
>>2993950
Britain had large resources of tin and gold, and huge woodlands to provide oak and whatnot, but its resources barely covered the costs of maintaining Roman presence there.

It was only really conquered for the sake of being conquered. Once it had been, Emperors invested a great deal of time and effort in enforcing their rule so as to avoid the ignominy of losing the province. This was costly as rebellions were almost perpetual in Britannia, as evidenced by the huge number of forts there.

I recall reading a book on Roman Britain by Guy de la Bédoyère, who claimed that for many in Rome (pre-conquest of Britain), the very existence of the island was questionable. He claims that even the tribes of Northern Gaul, despite trading with the Britons, knew only minor details about them. I find this hard to believe, especially as Iron Age Britons from SE England typically had more in common (culturally) with those in Northern Gaul than Northern England, Scotland or the Highlands. I find it even harder to believe when you consider the importance of the Druids to these societies, and the fact that Caesar records pilgrimages of Gaulish leaders and priests to Anglesey.

However, his point does have a kernel of truth in it. Some think that the famous 'seashell collection' on the shores of the Channel, under Caligula, was his response to mutiny by soldiers reluctant to cross into a land as alien to them as Mars is to us.

Britain was also harder to integrate culturally than, say, Gaul or Hispania, as its large population and small size meant few tribal leaders had the resources to qualify for entry to the Senate (i.e. no properties worth one million sesterces)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czF8okZRyPc
>>
>>2993950
No, invading a major shithole doesn't cost much, just a waste of resources
>>
>>2994169
Thank you for your reasoned contribution, Cletus
>>
>>2993950
>were they long fucked after before that happened?
what?
>>
>>2994149
But those were small rebellions.
The rebellions in Judea took 6 times the men-power to quell.
I doubt those rebellions were that big of a factor in Rome's fall.
>>
>>2995252
I agree, I just meant that they were a further drain on resources in a province that barely broke even
>>
>>2995338
based on what do you estimate province profitability?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.