[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many people get upset when someone shirks their civic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1484648247461.png (1MB, 1223x880px) Image search: [Google]
1484648247461.png
1MB, 1223x880px
Why do so many people get upset when someone shirks their civic '''''duty''''' to vote? It seems kind of irrational. I'm simply more interested in my career and personal fulfillment than politics. People never harass me for not giving to charity or caring about the environment, but several people have started arguments with me over my decision to not participate in politics? What are the historical origins of this attitude? What are some intelligent arguments that I am doing a bad thing by not voting?
>>
Because in a society where no one votes or runs for office, politics are entirely controlled by a craven caste of career politicians who work against the people's interest. You know, like in every Western country.
>>
>>2991347
Yeah, and in a society where nobody gives food to charity, many people will go hungry. But in the real world, someone else does give to charity, and someone else votes. I'm just specializing in something else and contributing in my own way. If I had to waste time keeping up with politics, I would have less time to he a good scientist.
>>
when did we all unanimously decide democracy worked or was a meaningful system? i wouldnt trust most people to watch my backpack, let alone trust them to make good decisions about my future.

democracy is just this christian idea that god's will be manifest in the body of the people. its purely superstition.
>>
>>2991387
democracy isn't about working the best. It's about rulers having the most legitimacy.
If the rulers fuck up in a democracy, people have only to blame themselves for voting for them in the first place.
In a dictatorship, you are gonna have riots and civil unrest if rulers make mistakes
>>
Depends on the society. If your country truly has free and fair elections, you should make an effort to vote. If you live in the United States of America, then you should consider not voting as an act of protest against a system that increasingly dilutes the significance of there even being voters despite the increased enfranchisement of the citizens.

It's usually milquetoast American liberals who complain about low voter turnout while ignoring that America is, for all intents and purposes, an oligarchy.
>>
>>2991384
if you don't keep tabs on your employees they will fuck you over. no exceptions.
most voters are completely clueless about inner party politics, and dont participate in it to the extent they easily can.
this allows for tiny determined groups to have huge political sway, on your expense.
>>
>>2991347
This is true in India, as well. The only difference is that it's easier to blame the victims if you force them to be complicit in their own abuse.
>>
I'm okay with people who make a conscious effort to not vote, e.g. as a form of protest. However, most people who I run into don't vote out of laziness.
>>
>>2991321
You should care about who runs your country and how. You should voice your opinion on where your country heads. Apathy is a cancer in elections.

Case and point: voter apathy in the young folk was the sole reason why Brexit succeeded. If they had kept the same yes/no proportion but showed up as much as even just middle age voters (let alone the elderly), it would not have gone through.
>>
>>2991321
People are taught in school that voting is a civic duty, and a foundation for the legitimacy of the government. Until recently climate change was treated as an open question and people have an aversion to talking about others' (who aren't relatives) finances.
>>
>>2993590
>You should care about who runs your country and how. You should voice your opinion on where your country heads.
Why?
>>
>>2991321
I think you're a selfish cunt for not giving to charity or caring about the environment.
>>
I get plenty of shit for refusing to participate in the sham that is parliamentary democracy in any way, shape or form.

Fuck them.
>>
>>2993608
Because next thing you know, you have a Putin as your head of state
>>
File: 170110_putinglasses.jpg (69KB, 560x384px) Image search: [Google]
170110_putinglasses.jpg
69KB, 560x384px
>>2993749
and the problem is?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.