[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Tunisia still feel the effects of Carthage's salted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: ced.jpg (242KB, 986x1369px) Image search: [Google]
ced.jpg
242KB, 986x1369px
Does Tunisia still feel the effects of Carthage's salted fields? Would Tunisia be a better place today if Carthage had never been salted? Does Tunisia have causus belli against Italy because of this?
>>
>>2990424
The "Salting of Carthage" was actually a misinterpretation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salting_the_earth#Destroying_cities

"Starting in the 19th century,[7] various texts claim that the Roman general Scipio Aemilianus Africanus plowed over and sowed the city of Carthage with salt after defeating it in the Third Punic War (146 BC), sacking it, and forcing the survivors into slavery. However, no ancient sources exist documenting the salting itself. The Carthage story is a later invention, probably modeled on the story of Shechem.[8] The ritual of symbolically drawing a plow over the site of a city is, however, mentioned in ancient sources, though not in reference to Carthage specifically.[9]
When Pope Boniface VIII destroyed Palestrina in 1299, he ordered that it be plowed "following the old example of Carthage in Africa", and also salted.[10] "I have run the plough over it, like the ancient Carthage of Africa, and I have had salt sown upon it...."[11] The text is not clear as to whether he thought Carthage was salted. Later accounts of other saltings in the destructions of medieval Italian cities are now rejected as unhistorical: Padua by Attila (452), perhaps in a parallel between Attila and the ancient Assyrians; Milan by Frederick Barbarossa (1162); and Semifonte by the Florentines (1202).[12]"
>>
>>2990438
Yeah, the major problem with the "salting" story is that Rome resettled Carthage and it was then a Roman city. Probably just symbolic.
>>
>>2990454
There's also the simple fact that salt was incredibly fucking expensive and prized by anyone who liked eating meat.
>>
>>2990538
Salt was so expensive that it was considered a viable payment method and part of a soldier's pay. Hence "salary".
>>
>>2990538
>>2990548
it wasn't
salt is incredibility cheap to produce. At the coast you just boil sea water...
The problem was people needed it in bulk so they ordered vast quantities.It was used from cooking to manufacturing everybody needed salt and lots of it thats all.
>>
Even if the romans did waste all that salt being petty, the soil would return to normal after 2000 fucking years.
>>
File: 1498072297540.jpg (2MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1498072297540.jpg
2MB, 5000x5000px
>>2990424
>Does Tunisia still feel the effects of Carthage's salted fields?
nah
t. tunisian
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.