[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So.. Were monks completely helpless against invaders like Vikangz

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: lindisfarne_abbey_big.jpg (71KB, 500x329px) Image search: [Google]
lindisfarne_abbey_big.jpg
71KB, 500x329px
So.. Were monks completely helpless against invaders like Vikangz and other fags raiding them or did they defend their monasteries? Surely they weren't going to let some oogabooga niggers get away with all that loot.
>>
File: Timahoe-Round-Tower-Co.-Laois.jpg (215KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Timahoe-Round-Tower-Co.-Laois.jpg
215KB, 768x1024px
>>2987794
This what the Irish did to protect themselves and their valuables.
>>
>>2987794
Most of the time the monasteries themselves were defenseless and at most the monks would hide/flee/barricade or hope their local lord would come save their asses.
Some monks took up the sword but this was rare.
When a kingdom fell in the Medieval Ages, religious centers were some of the first places to get pillaged, and their inhabitants usually being slaughtered is guaranteed.
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>2987802
>"thou shalt not kill"
>"okay so we can't really kill them due to our religious obligations but we can troll them by putting our items in this stone tower here"
The next week comes around...
>"where's your valuables, weaklings?!"
>"I don't know some other raiders took our stuff, did you try raiding the other abbeys?"
>"there are no other abbeys!"
>"haha sucks for you kiddo"
>"RRREEEEEE" *kills monk*
>>
>>2987802
I presume the monks ran to the very top of the tower and twiddled their thumbs while the vikings banged at the foundations like monkeys?
I'm laughing thinking about it
>>
>>2987794
It's an integral part of the Christian religion to be a cuck and to not resist. If they used violence in anyway to defend themselves, they would be committing sin and would spend eternity in hell.
>>
>>2987831
or maybe it was a secret cache tower where they all escaped to in case they saw raiders on the sea >>2987829
>>
>>2987831
I was told they would attack the raiders from their elevated position.
>>
File: vvzgx2J_d.jpg (82KB, 640x394px) Image search: [Google]
vvzgx2J_d.jpg
82KB, 640x394px
>>2987802
>>2987794
Irish monks in particular were actually very martially organised. After a certain point the Vikings just weren't a threat to monasteries anymore because the "monastic levies" as the Irish called them were too large and well-organised. Monks often acted as generals during these engagements but I don't know if they personally fought. An entry in the Annals of Ulster mentions to Abbots being killed in battle against a Viking force to they presumably did.

At one point, a single Irish King with an army of maybe a few thousand men was able to burn down every Viking longphort (naval base - literally "ship castle") in Ulster in a matter of weeks.

The Irish had very few problems with Vikings, other raiding Irishmen were more of a threat since they had larger better-trained forces and couldn't be driven off to the sea.

It wasn't Vikings that caused the Irish trouble, it was settled Scandinavians who organised themselves politically and were able to establish trade routes with other political entities in Ireland and abroad.
>>
>>2987879
> Vikings BTFO by any real army
>>
>>2987802
they were called cucktowers, the men would hide up there and watch while the vikings took what they wanted and impregnated their wives and daughters
>>
>>2987986
>monks
>having wives and daughters
anon, I...
>>
Orthodox monasteries on Mount Athos defended themselves with some success against the raiding Catalan company in 14th century.
>>
>>2987995
they weren't found solely in monasteries
>>
File: 1498072151131.jpg (182KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1498072151131.jpg
182KB, 1024x1024px
>>2987829
>>2987845

> what is Exodus 22:2-3?
> what is Romans 13:4?
> what is Luke 22:36?
> what is Proverbs 25:26?
> what is Nehemiah 4:17-18?
> what is Psalm 82:4?
> what is Romans 12:19?
>>
>>2987794
It was a falseflag
>>
>>2988575
>the conspiracy deepens

Varg I. . .
>>
>>2987879
>it was settled Scandinavians
Why did nobody stopped them? They shoulda built the wall.
>>
>>2987802
The modern historical view of those things is that they were belfries rather than actual defensive works.
>>
File: Super_sad_pepe.jpg (98KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Super_sad_pepe.jpg
98KB, 640x640px
>>2988158
I was the frogposter, forgive me, inquisitive crow, for I am ignorant and do not read Scripture. I am a deist, not of the Christian faith, and did not believe Christian monks defended themselves. I had thought they were pacifists. I will now try to delete my post, for I am deeply embarrassed by my ignorance, but with these new developments comes a greater understanding from my mistake. Thankyou, crow.
>>
In the Orthodox tradition, they either set up in an inaccessible area, or were killed. Defending yourself excludes you from martyrdom. Monks helped defend their country on a handful of occasions tho
>>
>>2987986
>Everything irl is like my disgusting fetish

funny
>>
>>2988158
>irrelevant jewish shit
>irrelevant pauline heresy shit
>relevant
>irrelevant jewish shit
>irrelevant jewish shit
>irrelevant jewish shit
>irrelevant pauline heresy shit
Good job anon.
>>
Ever heard of Knights Templar or Teutonic Order?
>>
>>2988158
http://biblehub.com/matthew/5-44.htm
>>
>>2987845

Funnily enough, in England at that time Christianity was syncretised with native-germanic hero-tradition to an extent.

Christ is often named "The victory child" who storms hell upon horseback and feasts with the father in heaven with his war-host.

>“The young warrior stripped himself then - that was God Almighty - strong and resolute, he climbed up onto the high gallows, mindful in the sight of many, when he wished to redeem mankind.

Jesus giving John the Baptist mail and sword

> I have suffered many things since you have wandered to your end in me, when you gave to me sword and mail, helmet and war-tackle, I always held them yet.

>Then the Master of Mankind hurried to the journey— the Helmet of Heaven wished to break down and humiliate the hell-walls, to hurl down the majesty of that capital, cruelest of all kings.

Weirdly personified and violent runes being adjunct to angels.

>At that point, the twins of the church shall destroy him, nyd (ᚾ) and os (ᚩ) together. Either one brings a whip from their way. They shall afflict for a space of time the estranged flesh-home, mourning not for the soul. (ll. 107-10) Then sigel (ᛋ) comes, counselor to angels, staff of glory, snatching the wrathful fiend by the feet, making the cheek fall forward onto the strong stone, scattering his teeth throughout the throng of hell.

kinda wacky desu
>>
>>2987879
Good post. I did a module on Irish medieval church history and going into it I had no idea how warlike the Irish were at every strata of their society. Kinda creepy desu
>>
>>2988595
Ireland had a very low population density so the native Kings couldn't effectively police every single part of their realms. If the annals are anything to go by it was considered unusual to patrol the borders any more than once a year. Of course, the arrival of the Vikings changed this in a big way.
>>
>>2989442
The orders that were founded hundreds of years after Vikings were a thing?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.