[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>we will never, EVER find out more about pre-Christian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Axe_Perun.jpg (140KB, 541x435px) Image search: [Google]
Axe_Perun.jpg
140KB, 541x435px
>we will never, EVER find out more about pre-Christian Slavic religion
>>
>>2986487
I'm more disappointed that we don't know more about pre-Christian Celtic religion
>>
I'm just interested in pre-Christian Slavs in general.
>>
We can try by way of comparative mythology.

Slavic Perun = Baltic Perkunas = Vedic Parjanya = Indra = Thor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkwunos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parjanya
>>
>>2986526
Besides the names, Perun and Perkunas aren't that similar. Slavic gods are actually closer to Iranic ones.
>>
>at this moment some groups and culture are still unknown
>>
>>2986557
You must look at the general picture.

Etymology
>The name is of Indo-European origin. Related gods from other areas are Perkūnas (Lithuania), Pērkons (Latvia), Percunis (Prussia), Piarun (Belarus), Peko or Pekolasõ (Estonia), Parjanya (India) and Perun or Piorun (Bulgaria, Croatia, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia).

God of vegetation
>"oak": Latin quercus, Old High German fereheih "oak", Celtic Hercynia silva. The oak is quite a common motif in myths about Perkūnas. Cognates include Sanskrit parkaṭī "fig tree", the Venetic and Celtiberian ethnonyms Quarquēni and Querquerni, the Ligurian Nymphis Percernibus, Old Norse fjörr "tree", Anglo-Saxon furh (Modern English fir), Old Norse fura, Old High German forha (Modern German Föhre) "pine tree", Old Norse fyri, Old High German forh-ist (Modern German Forst) "pine forest", Old High German Fergunna (the Erzgebirge), Langobardic Fairkuna. Anglo-Saxon firgen "wooded height", Gothic fairguni "mountain".
The oak is a sacred tree to a number of European sky-thunder gods.
>The oak is a tree of the thunder god in the Baltic mythology. Lithuanian Perkūno ąžuolas or Latvian Pērkona ozols ("oak of Perkūnas")
Parjanya is
>swift to send his lays in the plants the seed for germination
>down come the lightning-flashes: the plants shoot up

He kills the serpent demon by striking the tree with lighting
> Perkūnas strikes a golden oak, most likely in order to expel evil spirits — velnias or snakes — that usually hide below the roots of an oak.

Parjanya
>smites the trees apart, he slays the demons:

He rides a chariot drawn by goats
>Perkūnas is pictured as middle-aged, armed with an axe and arrows, riding a two-wheeled chariot harnessed with goats, like Thor.
Thor
>rides in a cart or chariot pulled by two goats

He yields the thunderbolt, represented as a weapon, generally a hammer or an axe.
Parjanya
> all life fears him who wields the mighty weapon.

Etc.
>>
>>2986647
Post more, knowledgable anon.
>>
>>2986487
We know quite a bit desu
http://sms.zrc-sazu.si/En/kazalo.html
There's even a bit about >>2986490 influence in some of the texts.
>>
File: inowroclaw_heads.jpg (1MB, 1600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
inowroclaw_heads.jpg
1MB, 1600x2400px
>>2986487
There's plenty of material scattered around, simply no one has made a comprehensive work that would include the current state of knowledge.

All major works still base on what was gathered in 19th century.
>>
>>2986487
Some of it has survived in folk tales. In the baltics there is a tale that tells of how the founders came to what is now europe to save their families from destruction. In some folktales the caucuses are said to be the gathering place where the rulers would come and rebuild after the end of the world.

>>2986526
I believe that the purging of native European religion began long before the time of Christ. The whole concept of godking is semitic in origin. I believe that in the ancient middle east the precursor religion of european paganism, modern judaism and indian hinduism originated and it spread and contaminated or displaced the native myths of the people. The only people unaffected where those separated by natural barriers.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.