[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linguistics: "Standard Average European" and Celtic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: three alphabets.png (69KB, 622x600px) Image search: [Google]
three alphabets.png
69KB, 622x600px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Average_European

"Not all the languages listed above show all the listed features, so membership in SAE can be described as gradient. Based on nine of the above-mentioned common features, Haspelmath regards French and German as forming the nucleus of the Sprachbund, surrounded by a core formed by English, the other Romance languages, the Nordic languages, and the Western and Southern Slavic languages. Hungarian, the Baltic languages, the Eastern Slavic languages, and the Finnic languages form more peripheral groups.[6] All languages identified by Haspelmath as core SAE are Indo-European languages. However, not all Indo-European languages are SAE languages: the Celtic, Armenian, and Indo-Iranian languages remain outside the SAE Sprachbund.[7]"

Why would Celtic languages not adopt the SAE features? Anyone knowledgeable on this? Pic sort of related.
>>
Did you not read the article you posted?

>The Standard Average EuropeanSprachbundis most likely the result of ongoinglanguage contact in the time of theMigration Period and later, continuing during theMiddle Agesand theRenaissance. Inheritance of the SAE features fromProto-Indo-Europeancan be ruled out because Proto-Indo-European, as currently reconstructed, lacked most of the SAE features.
>>
>>2981938
Right, but Celtic languages would have come into contact with lots of Germanic/Romance speakers during the Migration Period, Middle Ages, and Renaissance.
>>
>>2981946
Not in a huge scale. Their languages stayed largely localized. Nobody outside of their small area would speak their language especially into the middle ages and Renaissance, and as you can see from the migration period of Anglo-Saxons, Celtic languages didn't survive to well of the British isles save for isolated areas.
>>
>>2981964
So if Wales and Ireland had stayed independent, do you think Welsh and Irish would have adopted some of those features?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopi_time_controversy

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHA
>>
>>2981981
I doubt it, i think their isolated rural nature at the time preserved them and still provides that. Like how Lithuania is rather conservative as an Indo-European language.

Keep in mind both stayed independent until around the 12th-13th century. Maybe if they'd been taken earlier their languages would have been more affected/extinct
>>
>>2982034
But even the Baltic languages have a considerably higher SAE score than the Celtic languages.
>>
>>2982070
Ya, because this isolation ended at the migration peroid
>>
>>2982015
lmao

>>2982187
That would make sense. Thanks anon.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.