[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So can someone explain what exactly "German Idealism"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
So can someone explain what exactly "German Idealism" is? I've read the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry, and the Wiki, but I'm just not certain I quite understand what the movement consists of.

Where do Plato, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Heidegger fall into this in terms of the relationship with German Idealism?
>>
>>2978613
Not the OP, but I'm also interested in this.
>>
>>2980695
Oh. It's good that you didn't just say "I'm also interested in this", or we would've mistaken you for a Siamese twin.
>>
>>2980722
Not him but there's nothing more pathetic than samefagging your own thread.
>>
>>2978613
I'm OP and I'm interested in this. Nice thread OP.
>>
>>2980728
I'm not OP, but being so new you don't know the poster counter is pretty pathetic as well.
>>
>>2980737
People sometimes use their phones to get around that.
>>
>>2978613
So...any actual answer to this?
>>
>>2978613
It's a meme leftists use to describe every german philosophy/thoughts they considered unrealistic/too idealistic, which applies mostly to right wing, you'll never hear Karl Marx, Engels, etc counted as "German Idealism"
>>
>>2980965
Why would you even post when you obviously don't know anything about the subject? Marx specifically rejects idealism in favor of materialism, this is the basis of Marxism. Go to fucking undergrad and read a book. It doesn't have anything to do with being "unrealistic."
>>
>>2978613
>Plato, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Heidegger
None of these people are "idealists." Idealism is a response to Kant. It says you can't know anything about reality separate from the mind, i.e. you don't have any access to the "thing in itself."
>>
File: please be patient I have autism.jpg (24KB, 403x433px) Image search: [Google]
please be patient I have autism.jpg
24KB, 403x433px
>>2980722
>>2980728
>>2980744
Y'all niggas is rude AF.
>>
>>2981027
Schopenhauer says that there is no acces to the thing in itself aswell. He just assumed that it must be similar to our will.
>>
>>2981311
Yeah but Schopenhauer is a hack
>>
>>2980965
I pray to God this was a shitpost
>>
It starts with Kant and ends with Hegel. Yet there was not much of a common philosophical consensus within the members of the epoch.
>>
>>2982457
What are some common themes or debates, then?
>>
File: 1492864602899.jpg (67KB, 500x314px) Image search: [Google]
1492864602899.jpg
67KB, 500x314px
>>2978613
As far as its status in philosophy goes, it is more easily described as a historical period than a philosophical movement. The representatives of this period are portrayed as responders to Kant, most of them disagreeing with him besides Schopenhauer. Their views and focuses are disparate and not easily grouped together beyond the general statement that they were committed to the doctrine of idealism.

German idealism is the doctrine of Idealism as it was thought about in Germany from Kant in the late 1700s until the 1830s and 1840s.

What is Idealism? Idealism in general is the idea that reality is based in/on the mind, as opposed to matter or physical things outside of the mind. It is opposed to Materialism/Physicalism.

Kant's Idealism was an epistemological (which means "concerning [human] knowledge") judgement. As those wikis describe his philosophy, Kant declared that regardless of whether reality is or isn't really based in the mind, we humans can never come to that knowledge and we are limited to our own experience.

Here is this same answer found in Stanford's EoP:
>As far as ontological idealism is concerned, although he never questions the existence of something independent of our representations of it, he can claim to have shown that when it comes to the ultimate constitution of this reality as it may be considered independently of the way it appears to beings endowed with reason and (human) sensibility we can know nothing...
>We neither can know whether... there are material objects around... constituting a law-governed whole called nature. Nor can we know whether whatever we experience as an object is in the end some mental product of a divine mind having creative powers totally different from those we can make sense of.
>Thus we are bound to be agnostic with regard to any metaphysical theoretical claims as to the real constitution of the world...
>>
>>2982499
Attempts to regain certainty about the external world despite Kant's denial of access to it. Most of his successors made appeals to God and our ability to know him as our access to reality. Hegel for example postulates the Absolute, an amorphous entity, as the principle of everything that can be reached through knowledge, or whatever.

I haven't read any of them besides a bit of Schopenhauer, but I have read about them. It's not as interesting as one first believes it would be.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.