[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the UK have the most immutable class system in the world

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: x.jpg (78KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
x.jpg
78KB, 400x600px
Does the UK have the most immutable class system in the world in terms of reaching the upper-classes? Going working-class to middle-class is easy, sure. But reaching the English upper-class seems nigh-impossible, not without several generations of work.

In the US you just need to be rich and go to college and you're pretty much there -- look at someone like Bill Clinton. This is totally different in the UK, much of it doesn't even relate to wealth. Some guy who inherited two titles, a country estate and £6.50 is far more upper class than some first-generation immigrant billionaire.

Look at someone like Evelyn Waugh, he was born to a wealthy author/journalist, went to one of the oldest and most prestigious schools in the country, then Oxford, had Lords and high-ranking judges in his recent ancestry and then spent his entire life writing about how much he loved the upper class and wished more than anything to be one of them, but acknowledging he was a permanent outsider.

Outside of marrying in (in which case people will still laugh behind your back, especially if you're mail) there seems to be no way to go from middle to upper class.

Does any other country have such a rigid system? Sorry if this isn't totally /his/ related but it is at least somewhat related to the humanities and has roots in history.
>>
>>2975508
OP here, no idea why I wrote mail rather than male. My brain just had a moment.
>>
Good, just as it should be. New money are obnoxious, tasteless cunts.
>>
>>2975508
they used to knight guys who did well militarily or financially
now they do it if they sell enough CDs and live long enough
>>
>>2975528
Doesn't make one upper class though, especially because knighthoods only last for a single lifetime, the really respectable titles are hereditary. The same applies with life peers.

Also they do save the good knighthoods for such causes, look at the Knights of the Garter, John Major and the guy who owns Sainsbury's are pretty much the only people your average citizen would recognise.
>>
>>2975514
I do think new money can definitely run in their circles but they will always be outsiders. The upper-class has so many little rules that betray your real class to anyone whose familiar with them -- look at U and non-U English for example, the words that aspirational middle-class people think are posh out them as being exactly what they are -- middle-class. The upper-class and the working-class use many of the same words, which the middle-class entirely avoid. (e.g. Loo is posh, toilet isn't. Bike is posh, cycle isn't).
>>
>>2975508
I'm German and I studied in England and from what I can tell it's no different anywhere in western Europe. You may study hard and get a degree in medicine and study on after to become a heart surgeon for example but you still aren't going to earn more than 100,000 a year even when that's not including taxes but America if that was you you'd be a millionaire in three years.
>>
>>2975541
Middle class people usually speaks the exact same as a modern upper class.High Received Pronunciation is only spoken in movies now.
>>
>>2975563
In terms of accent this is largely true, but the vestiges of word-choice, fashion, etc. are still class indicators.
>>
>>2975566
Fashion of course but most of the time it depends on the individual. Does he read? What school did he go to?
>>
>>2975541
If I ever got the chance I wouldn't give a damn about their customs and would rub my lack of knowledge in their face just so they are aware that their pretentious asses are comparable to my rude uncultured ass.
>>
>>2975619
That would not bother them. Have you ever interacted with an aristocrat? They are filled from a very young age with unbounded confidence and social skills. The vast, vast majority would be extremely polite to your face and make your weird confrontational attitude as non-awkward as possible. Then proceed to talk down on you behind your back for 5 minutes and promptly forget your existence.
>>
>>2975623
I probably phrased myself too hard, but I wouldn't be confrontational or impolite the way you're probably imagining it.

I would be myself and confident, not playing on their terms. I'd also try to achieve things, highlighting that their pretentious ways are unnecessary for success. I think I would attract some secret admiration this way.
>>
>>2975643
thats a very american way of thinking though, its completely different the way the class structure is carried out in america.
>>
>>2975743
Everyone loves confidence
>>
>>2975508
>Does the UK have the most immutable class system in the world in terms of reaching the upper-classes?

Nobody invaded them after the Normans and they only had one (unsuccessful) revolution.
>>
>>2975643
How naive.
>>
File: Exasperation.gif (1MB, 160x192px) Image search: [Google]
Exasperation.gif
1MB, 160x192px
>>2975643
>having a chip on your shoulder
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.