[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Someone tell me about the various ethnic minorities and groups

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Someone tell me about the various ethnic minorities and groups in China.

I can hardly name any besides the Hakka thanks to Gran Torino but who are the most important and what distinguishes them from Han Chinese?
>>
the Hakka aren't really an ethnic minority, they are just a regional Han Chinese identity with their own dialect (Han Chinese are internally diverse as well)
Also if i remember correctly, the people in Gran Torino were Hmong, not Hakka.

the largest ethnic minorities are:

>Hui
Muslim Chinese distinguished from Han only by their religion, not by general culture or language

>Tibetans
Their language is only very remotely related to Chinese and they are very devoted Vajrayana (Tantric) Buddhists where Han Chinese are mostly vanilla Mahayana Buddhists if at all; they have their own very distinctive culture and there are even some nomadic tibetans

>Mongols
in inner Mongolia, they have a lot in common with tibetans specifically their Tibetan buddhism, they speak a Mongolic language unrelated to Chinese

>Miao
Also called the Hmong (these are the ones that appear in gran torino), they are scattered throughout the south of China and don't consider themselves a single ethnic group, some of them live in southeast asia as well; they speak Hmongic languages of the Hmong-Mien family

>Yao
They also live in the south and speak Hmong-Mien languages related to the Miao languages; yao women are famous for never cutting their hair; the woman in your pic is yao, her hairstyle indicates her marital status

>Manchu
once the elite ethnicity under the qing dynasty they have assimilated to Han Chinese to the point of losing their own (Tungusic) language which is only spoken by a handful of people today despite having been a language of imperial administration at one point

>Zhuang
live in Guangxi province and speak a language related to thai that is written in a really weird latin orthography

>Koreans
a lot of them live close to the border of North korea

there are tons more but i don't really know anything about most of them
>>
>>2970917
The we hers in the West.
>>
>>2970943
right i forgot those...

>uyghurs
turkic muslims speaking a Karluk Turkic language derived from chagatay literary turkic and closely related to Uzbek (Sart). They live in the Tarim Basin around the Taklamakan desert where they once displaced the Indo-European speaking "Tocharians" (who weren't the actual tocharians btw). Uyghurs are culturally related to other central asian turkic peoples and they write their language in arabic script, though before that they wrote in vertical aramaic which they passed on to the mongols and manchu who still kind of use it.
>>
>>2970190
>inb4 jews of china

imagine being a refugee group of civilized northern chinese surrounded by half barbarian fujianese/cantonese cucks who can barely keep and maintain their own chinese identity

hakka identity evolved in opposition to their primitive fujianese and cantonese cuck neighbors

fujianese and cantonese worshipped the hakka as high iq gods who could trade and lend money, hence the hakka status as the lords of southern china and justified northern han superiority over southern han

t. waishengren/hakka in taiwan
>>
WE
>>
WUZ
>>
QINGZ
>>
>>2970988
N' SHUUUUU

>>2970190
The Mosuo of China are the only extant matriarchy. Women are the only ones who can own cattle and land, men cannot so they are at the bottom rung of society. It used to be that men would leave to go work the caravans on the Silk Road leaving the women to tend to the farm until they came back. The collapse of the Silk Road (Thanks, Ottomemes) lead to the complete destruction of their society. The Mosuo do not have marriages, they have "Walking-Marriages" (A Mandarin-English description as the Mosuo do not have a word for "Marriage"). These are basically hookups. Men do not work, they float listlessly from woman to woman, having sex as they go until their latest hookup kicks them out. When they get too old, they live with their mothers. When they die, they live with their sisters. When they die, they starve to death in the streets. Mosuo society has a big problem with Mosuo women leaving their farms to go be housewives to Han men.
>>
>>2970983
I would choke you to death.
>>
File: 1496782793669.webm (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1496782793669.webm
1MB, 320x240px
>>2970190
Who cares?

All of them are souless insectoids
>>
>>2970917
Doesn't China memefully recognize 52 minorities?
>>
>>2970190
there are arways part of China, forver and forver.

gibs us back Taiwan, Mongol, Tuva and Siberia!

also South Chiiina Seas is ours too.
>>
>>2972476
Korea and Vietnam too.

WE WUZ
>>
>>2972620
China was THICC
>>
>>2972330
Your webm literally has a woman who picks up the child and immediately begins looking for help with a shocked expression on her face. I agree it shows that there's a hell of a psychopathic tendency in the culture but it's clearly unfair to say all.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.