[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Ireland so primitive until the Normans came? Why didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: Ireland_(MODIS).jpg (19KB, 260x358px) Image search: [Google]
Ireland_(MODIS).jpg
19KB, 260x358px
Why was Ireland so primitive until the Normans came? Why didn't they have castles/better weapons?
>>
File: Castles in Ireland completed.jpg (212KB, 599x652px) Image search: [Google]
Castles in Ireland completed.jpg
212KB, 599x652px
They did have castles. The green pins on this map represent Gaelic castle construction while the yellow ones are Norman castles.

What do you mean by "better weapons"? Actually for that matter what do you mean by "primitive"? They didn't have much of an urban tradition and didn't wear armor but apart from that I can't think of much difference in terms of technology.
>>
>>2959759
But where they REALLY castles, or just shitty dirt forts?
>>
>>2959759

They fought with clubs and didn't even wear helmets. this is extremely primitive by any standards.
>>
File: doe castle.jpg (405KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
doe castle.jpg
405KB, 1920x1080px
>>2959763
Well they were made of stone based on the remains we have but we don't know what they looked like. There are later castles built by Gaelic nobles, like Doe Castle here, but they obviously are influenced by Norman architecture.

>>2959767
>They fought with clubs and didn't even wear helmets.
Dude where the fuck did you get this from. That's so hilariously wrong.
>>
File: ringfort.jpg (62KB, 640x468px) Image search: [Google]
ringfort.jpg
62KB, 640x468px
>>2959763
Does this look like dirt to you?
>>2959767
>clubs
You're an idiot, the Shillelagh and stick fighting is a very modern idea to get around weapons laws
>>
>>2959767
>They fought with clubs and didn't even wear helmets
You fucking dolt. The Normans themselves said that the Irish mainly fought using axes.
>>
Why are yous even responding to this autist
>>
>>2959796
>Normans

You dopey prick, that was the galloglass, a type of warrior NOT native to Ireland but adopted from the Vikings.

>>2959782
>>2959791

Try actually reading the source material, you'll come across as less stupid and ignorant. Dopey West Brit dipshits.
>>
>>2959839
Wanna cite me these sources then?
>>
>>2959839
>You dopey prick, that was the galloglass, a type of warrior NOT native to Ireland but adopted from the Vikings.
It's from Gerald of Wales mate, the tradition of the Irish fighting with axes predates Gallowglasses by a fair bit.

>Try actually reading the source material
I wrote my BA thesis on Gaelic warfare, I'd hazard that I know a bit more about it than you. What sources are you even on about?
>>
>>2959850
>Normans

You know what the Normans came after? That's right, the Vikings. Dope of a cunt.
>>
>>2959850
>I wrote my BA thesis on Gaelic warfare

What a truly pathetic lie.
>>
File: this thread again.jpg (39KB, 460x500px) Image search: [Google]
this thread again.jpg
39KB, 460x500px
>another poorly disguised "Irish are secretly niggers thread"

saged faggot
>>
>>2959850
>>2959872
Well if they had axes after vikings but pre-normans, surely that means that they had tech before the normans then?
>>
File: 1459684563521.png (387KB, 919x737px) Image search: [Google]
1459684563521.png
387KB, 919x737px
Oh look, this thread again.

>>2959877
Beat me to it.
>>
>>2959872
I don't get what you're trying to say. The Irish fought with axes before the Normans came to Ireland, that's all I'm saying. In terms of literature they're described as fighting with swords, spears, axes and javelins, but never with clubs, not until the early modern period. I'm asking where that person got the idea that they fought with clubs with, because it isn't attested in literature, art or archaeology.

They also mentioned that the Irish didn't wear helmets, but helmets are the one article of armor they are consistently described as wearing before the later medieval period.

>>2959874
It's on JSTOR, you can read it if you want. It's not very good but it was quite a while ago.
>>
>>2959897
I wonder if there are actually people dressed like this when browsing this site.
>>
I like the Irish

10/10 would send ships full of food again
>>
File: 1484441651668.jpg (50KB, 425x363px) Image search: [Google]
1484441651668.jpg
50KB, 425x363px
>>2959946
Hey, my ottoman buddy. Anglos sure are a thing, huh? Armenians had it coming lad.
>>
>>2959910
Anon, I'm in university, I can find it on JSTOR and debunk the clubfag if you want.
>>
>>2959967
Not that anon but I don't even think you'd need that much effort to debunk it, a cursory glance at Wikipedia or the works of Fergus Cannan would probably do the trick.
>>
Ireland was the most advanced country in Europe in between Romans and Normans
Your incredibly ignorant
"Island of saints and scholars"
Christianity first came to Ireland between the 3rd and 5th Centuries and while much of Europe was plunging into the Dark Ages, Ireland provided a beacon of light.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_the_Irish_Saved_Civilization
>>
>>2960074
WE
>>
>>2960088
WUZ MONKS AND KEKED THE PICTS TO DEATH
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.