[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there such thing as Dark Utilitarianism? An ethical framework

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: YouMightVeryWellThinkThat.jpg (32KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
YouMightVeryWellThinkThat.jpg
32KB, 600x450px
Is there such thing as Dark Utilitarianism? An ethical framework that tries to maximize the amount of human suffering?

Such an ethical system would end up promoting economic growth (desire leads to suffering), increasing the human lifespan (people can suffer longer), and increasing the population in a sustainable manner. (more people to suffer)
Either that or they would just find one really miserable person and focus on making their life worse while ignoring everyone else.

Either way that's better than Utilitarianism, the logical conclusions of which are either voluntary human extinction (no more suffering) or simply making one individual super happy at the expense of everyone else.

Is this doable? Am I missing anything (other than the fact that some people might consider this edgy shit and be turned off)
>>
>An ethical framework that tries to maximize the amount of human suffering
Ow the edge
>>
>>295895
Yes but the consequences of such a system would be all the things our society considers good.
Edge only matters if you believe intent matters.
>>
>>295884
It's called salaf
>>
>>295958
Not really, western capitalism causes more anti-utility than Islam ever has or will.
>>
>>295884
But I enjoy being tortured.
>>
>>295884
It's called Sadism
>>
>>296015
No sadism is an intent. I'm talking about the positive consequence of an ethical system that encourages sadism.
>>
>>296054
Then you are going to have to look up non-western philosophies because Western morality is based on Aristotle and Christianity both of which has happiness and caring as the basis of morality.
>>
>>295926
If you think those outcomes are good then you're lying to yourself about the """"logical"""" conclusion of utilitarianism.
>>
>>296066
Again intent. The problem with western morality is that if gets way too hung up on intent and ignores how much evil is done by stupid people with good intentions, or malicious people exploiting the good intentions of others.
It also discourages some people from doing good by shaming them for having bad intentions. "How dare that billionaire give to charity! he's only doing it to appease his own ego. Only poor people should be charitable!"

>>296072
Are you one of those anti-natalists, because THAT's edgy.
>>
If its trying to maximize the amount of human suffering then the outcome is society's trying to make people suffer more? How is that good or usable? Also those logical conclusions are off m8.
1) Negative utatlerins is not used in actual modern society
2) No Utilitarian theory would put the happiness of the individual over the group. That misses like, the whole point of it.
>>
Yes, this is the plan and belief system of the NWO globalists.
>>
>>295884
What would be the purpose of that? What kind of person would adopt a system like that? It's like asking if there's a thing such as Dark Hedonism, where you try to maximize the amount of personal suffering.
>>
>>297214
They sound like a cool bunch, how do I get into their secret club?
>>
>>297312
Join the Masons.
>>
File: cold steel.jpg (189KB, 780x770px) Image search: [Google]
cold steel.jpg
189KB, 780x770px
>>
>>295884
>Urquhart
>trying to maximise human suffering

I hope you picked this image just because you like Ian Richardson.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.