[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone please reality pill me about this guy? Einstein studied

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: hermeticism.jpg (18KB, 253x200px) Image search: [Google]
hermeticism.jpg
18KB, 253x200px
Can someone please reality pill me about this guy? Einstein studied him? Thomas Jefferson? Newton??

And then they found out that it was all bs? Who would write this stuff?

Or it was truly written in 8000 BC??

no comprende, internet not helping
>>
p.s. after reading that Isaac Newton was a hermeticist, I really wanted to try reading this stuff myself....

The Kyblion or whatever is truly difficult for me to care about... zen is so much better than this...
>>
>Hermes Trismegistus was a real dude

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermes_Trismegistus

scientists probably studied this stuff because it was the precusor to real chemistry.
>>
>>2954799
well whoever dreamed him up was a pretty smart dude...
>>
Muslims equate Hermes to the Prophet IdrĂ­s, whom the Jews know as Enoch.
>>
>>2954801

it was probably a bunch of different people contributed to a corpus of knowledge over time. pre-modern authors would often write under pseudonyms of famous figures.
>>
>>2954793
He's a holy teacher like Jesus or siddhartha. Hermeticism is good shit which is why so many people who've studied it have gone on to be great successes. Of course it takes an eccentric mind to be drawn to Hermeticism.
>>
>>2954813

except he wasn't real
>>
So he was just a pantheist?
>>
>>2954857
Why would you say that considering we have documentation he exist? He's as real as the Hittites.
>>
He's in line with the thinking of the mystery Dionysian mysteries and Gnostic. If you know Sophia and Dionysus he's in that line of thinking.

The basic idea is that there is some sort universal aspect to the human mind, a large shared mind. My interpretation is that the universal mind is the collective unconscious. Herme's spiritual teachings are supposed to teach you how to tap into the universal mind to become stronger. He also had some scientific discovers attributed to him.

There probably was a real Hermes but he eventually was talked about in divine terms as a spirit that inspires people and helps them in science, philosophy, and theology. If you want to study him don't get too wrapped up in the historical nature of it, the lessons are important, not who wrote them.
>>
>>2954926

{Citation needed}
>>
>>2954812
true
also probably true for some other famous religious / philosophical figures like Pythagoras, Orpheus, etc.

>>2955560
kinda right except the part about hermes being "real" at all. i'm not saying that's not true, i'm saying it's an oversimplification. also without a definition of what constitutes being real this statement belongs to the realm of common sense, not philosophy. and common sense is as slutty as a /pol/tard's mom
also if you're into universal minds, you should probably read Vernadsky and other russin cosmists. to a degree they were the hermeticists of the 20th century without knowing it
>>
>>2955560
also Eliade argued, Hermes was a late-antiquity modernisation of good old Olympic Hermes
I believe it was in the 2nd volume of A History Of Religious Ideas
>>
>>2955944
I think it's almost certain he came after Plato.

The theology of a spirit/god traveling into universial mind to bestow wisdom on those who seek the god had to come after Plato. I will explain why.

As humans rational mind evolved it eventually started to become seperated from the emotional part. Differentiation between logical and emotional thinking only starts being discussed by philosophers around the time of Socratic philosophy. At this time the parts of the mind concerned with morality (guilt, conscious, etc) and logic were promoted. We start to see proto stoicsm creep in and become hostile to instincts and deep passion. In addition the concepts of civic duty and there being a moral order that you must submit to start becoming very developed; this is another thing that belittles deep instincts and passions emphasizing obdience to those outside yourself rather than obedience to the inner mind.

The theology of universal minds: Diyanious, Hermes, the Gnostic Sophia were something developed as a curative against a crisis that had separated people from their instincts. It is a medicine only needed for a world that is seeped in Socratic moralizing and Platonic rationalism. The universal mind is a metaphor for the collective subconscious, deep instincts and passions that have been neglected. There is usually a tragic element morning the separation between the conscious mind and it's deep instincts such as a suffering saviour a fallen godess who has lost her memory.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.