[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know Jack shit about religion and I want to become a more religious

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: take-my-hand-greg-olsen.jpg (152KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
take-my-hand-greg-olsen.jpg
152KB, 900x720px
I know Jack shit about religion and I want to become a more religious person. What's a good way to learn about the History of religion and read religious texts? I'm lost and have no idea where to start.
>>
>>2954420
Read the poetic Edda. Or specify what religion you want to know about. The guy in this pic. could be jesus or just some random dude.
>>
Start by Chaturvedas.
Most ancient text.
Written in Sanskrit btw.
>>
>>2954420

Read the bible paying lots of attention to how evil and unjust the god of that religion is.
>>
>>2954420
Read the New Testament, specifically the Sermon on the Mount, see if you can justify it for yourself.
>>
>>2954420
All religions are controlled and a trap, you're better off believing in The Creator of All and not being in a religion,
>>
>>2954420
Go with academic Religious Studies instead of just theology. For that angle, I highly reccomend Wilfred Cantwell Smith's "The Meaning and End of Religion," Berger's "The Sacred Canopy" and Bell's "Ritual Theory, Ritual Practice." Valantasis' "The Making of the Self: Ancient and Modern Asceticism" is excellent for understanding what motivates people to radically change their lives and engage in extreme behavior for their beliefs.
Take anything you read written by Westerners about religions from Asia, Africa, etc with a grain of salt; more like a pound when the text is from the 19th or early 20th century. TL;DR version is that a combination of scholarship based on bad translations, missing cultural context, and Eurocentrism did a real number on accurately understanding what the people actually believe. Hinduism is a key example, the British practically invented it by lumping together every Indian who wasn't Christian or Muslim into one category despite the many beliefs under that label often being completely incompatible.
>>
>>2954420
Read Campbell's "Myths to Live By".
>>
Mircea Eliade's A History of Religious Ideas in 3 volumes is BY FAR the best read on the subject
nothing stands even close, man
>>
Read the entire Bible, trying to take it from the perspective of a Jew, a Gentile, and an atheist. Once you finish that, you can delve more into the archaeology and history and mythology around Biblical studies, but you need to read the real thing first. Front to back, Genesis to Revelations, no shortcuts.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.