[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was the British rule seen in Hong Kong? As foreign occupation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

How was the British rule seen in Hong Kong? As foreign occupation or perhaps as "our" government?

Let's focus on post-ww2 era.
>>
>>2951573
I ask the Hong Kongers at my university about this enough that I think i'm annoying them.
General consensus is they appreciate it was advantageous to be administered by the British and would rather that were still the case over Chinese occupation but ultimately would like to be Singapore tier.
>>
File: REEEEEEEE.jpg (192KB, 1152x900px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEE.jpg
192KB, 1152x900px
>>2951705
>Ywn never live in a timeline where Hong Kong and Macau become city states like Monaco and Singapore
The world needs more city states. I hate the nation states meme with "muh united Germanic peoples" and even more so the continent states meme with "muh united Europeans", City states are literally god tier from Athens and the City of London to Singapore and Monaco.
There just so comfy, easy to administrate, pleasant, and are actually something that people can be proud of and have inspired patriotism towards because you literally live their where as in places like the UK most people from norther town are disillusioned because they don't live in London which is the only part that matters.
>>
they were only given a democratic government in the 1970s, and while many hong kongers were happy about it they also criticized the move saying it was clearly a ploy so that when the time came to return HK to China the British government could say YOU CAN'T TAKE AWAY THEIR DEMOCRATIC HUMAN RIGHTS
>>
>>2951573
they want us back actually, our trade made the life quality in Hong Kong vastly better than the rest of China
they developed their own language, so they don't really feel too akin to China
>>
>>2952831

more like they kept proper chinese language and evolved normally
>>
>>2951768

>pic

>ancient sea monster autismally protesting at being rendered harmless and obsolete by cooperation and good will on the continent
>>
>>2951573
It was a foreign occupation, but those who came after WW2 didn't mind it that much. Colonial rule was relatively benign compared with other British colonies, and China was such a mess at the time that people would rather tolerate the gweilos than go back north.
>>
As far as I can tell HK'ers are beginning to realize that maybe being under the thrall of China is worse than UK
>>
>>2952831
>they want us back actually
The shitty SJW kids do.

Their parents wanted to be Singapore style independent. A city state.

Hell, if you watch old Hong Kong cinema, there were a lot of anti-colonial sentiment there.
>>
>>2951768
East Asia isn't really geared for city states.

They didn't have the same experience as the west did with Greco-Italian City states and the latter medieval urban communes and states.

They were really expansive states on the get go.
>>
>>2955245
>The shitty SJW kids do.

They just wan ta free ticket ot hope to the UK after being granted "special Hong Kong status" just for Hong Kong.
>>
File: Chinese crown.jpg (53KB, 597x742px) Image search: [Google]
Chinese crown.jpg
53KB, 597x742px
>>2952831
>they developed their own language, so they don't really feel too akin to China
Mainland and the PRC? Sure
Cultural China? Fuck no.

You just think they "don't see themselves as Chinese" because of the spat they have with the mainland. But put them up against Southeast Asians and watch the WE WUZ EMPRAS N SHIT fly.
>>
File: prince chef.png (464KB, 975x654px) Image search: [Google]
prince chef.png
464KB, 975x654px
>>2951573
>>
>>2951768
Don't be so defeatist, defeatism is merely a form of nihilism, reject it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.