[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In we why did the Germans so fiercely resist the American invasion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

In we why did the Germans so fiercely resist the American invasion with all their might when they knew they had lost? They must have known their choice was between America and Russia why not put down their arms and choose the better option?
>>
>>2945200
America only fought third tier shit that was left after Russia smashed all their proper forces
>>
>>2945200
They didn't and they tried to. The nazi's planned for an on going guerrilla campaign and a continuation of the nazi state that never materialised. They also made numerous attempts to just surrender to the west and continue fighting the Soviets, which were all refused.
>>
>>2945200

To be fair, America probably wouldn't have accepted anything other than unconditional surrender because that's just what America does. Blame it on Grant.
>>
>>2945200
How did they fiercely resist the American invasion? Americans basically went as quickly as their logistics would allow.
>>
>>2945475

>trusting krauts
>>
>>2945493
this
>>
>>2945491
Fiercely, but relatively ineffectively. Especially with the overwhelming air advantage, it was hard just for the Germans to move troops around in the Western Front, let alone fight. But, for example they counterattacked all the time in the tactical level, even when they probably shouldn't have.
>>
>>2945200
>They must have known their choice was between America and Russia why not put down their arms and choose the better option?
That's exactly what they did. A lot of German soldiers deserted and tried to reach American lines because they didn't want to be captured by the Russians.

>>2945491
The Russians moved at the same pace. Minsk is about the same distance to Berlin as Normandy and the Minsk Offensive started the same month as D-Day.
>>
>>2945491
It actually took a long time for the US to break out of the Normandy pocket.

Hedgerows are a bitch to fight in, and the Germans don't give up ground easily.
>>
>>2945493
Its their nation to faggot.
>>
>>2945520
The reckless German counterattacks were the biggest boon to the Allies.
Normandy was hell, the terrain was awful and the Allied position was tenuous. But Hitler demanded they attack.
That awful terrain is just as bad to attack in if you're German or American. The Germans got slaughtered on the offensive and shortly after the brutal hedgerow fighting turned into the Falaise Pocket rout. France would have been a much longer and bloodier fight if the Germans had adopted a completely defensive stance.
It still would have ultimately resulted in the German army being routed, but it would have been 6 months of brutal fighting and gradual retreat instead of 2 months of brutal fighting and 4 months of the Allies outrunning their supply lines until they reached the Rhine.
>>
>>2945730
They were just moving the rest of the army in and stockpiling supplies. German army was not the main factor in the speed of US army's advance.
>>
File: 1428163328855.jpg (7KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
1428163328855.jpg
7KB, 231x218px
>>2945200
My great-grandfather fought in the war (he's American, fought in France). My grandfather told me his story.

>On beach getting shelled
>Find foxhole and somehow fall asleep
>Wake up surrounded by Nazis
>oh fuck here w-
>They're surrendering to you
>pic related

My grandfather told me his father said that many of the Germans he met on the battlefield would gladly surrender to the Americans because they knew the Russians would buttfuck them.
>>
>>2947115
>troops at Omaha beach
>german soldiers
you mean eastern european """recruits""", of course they'd surrender to you
>>
>>2946995
Ehh, I'm not entirely convinced. First off, a large part of the reason you had a delay before breakout was simple logistical limitations. Overlord did not capture any ports, and they were relying on the Mulberry harbors for a long while. It took about a month just to build up to the point where they could make a large scale push, and that isn't likely to change much if the Germans sit on their hands.

But furthermore, the Allied air and artillery advantage in Normandy in 1944 was colossal. A German army that's just sitting and defending the entire time would take longer to break, but I doubt it would be "brutal fighting" all over. It would probably be shell and mop up, shell and mop up, repeated for a long time.
>>
File: 1496630275926.png (196KB, 710x750px) Image search: [Google]
1496630275926.png
196KB, 710x750px
>>2945200
>all their might
>the western front

Americans need to be sterilized
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.