[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best defence against a army of heavy cavalry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: Parthian_Shot.gif (550KB, 1275x1485px) Image search: [Google]
Parthian_Shot.gif
550KB, 1275x1485px
What is the best defence against a army of heavy cavalry and horse archers?
>>
Forts
>>
>>2944638
I'm partial to Tarkans and Huskarls
>>
>>2944638
Ask Hungary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Mongol_invasion_of_Hungary
>>
>>2944638
Discplined and armoured pike infantry and shield bearers along with a host of long ranged archers or crossbows, horse archers have to force an attack due to how quickly their mounts will tire so they are mostly on the offensive, they may change mounts but shooting their existing mounts from under them will go a long way into eliminating their initial violence of action as the momentum stalls and more reserves need to be committed dis-proportionally to their lines of attack. Outranging them with archers also nips a lot of their feints in the bud with heavy losses and morale drained. Heavy cavalry depends on weakened and compromised lines to be effective, with the pikes and shields they will have a hard time breaking the line.
>>
>>2944638
Spearmen and foot archers.
>>
>>2944638
discipline
really good discipline
>>
>>2944638
ridersbane and heavy-hitting close-range units like Fighters or Pirates
>>
>>2944638
macedonian phalanx
>>
>>2944664
i would hire you if i was an emperor
>>
>>2944638
fort wagons and muskets :^)
>>
File: guns.jpg (47KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
guns.jpg
47KB, 300x300px
>>2944638
Guns. Lots of guns.
>>
>>2944666
This + artillery.
>>
this >>2944664
and light cavalry.

Some cavalry are essential or they will raid your supply lines. You will inevitably have less cavalry than steppe peoples, but they can be supported by your infantry.

At the battle of Kulikovo, the Russian cavalry were held back and hidden then released near the end of the battle when the Golden Horde were exhausted. Their fresh men and horses meant they could drive away the greater numbers of cavalry.
>>
Wagon forts, guns and your own horse archers. That's what the chinese did, anyway.
>>
>>2944940
Agreed, but I would say Medium cavlary and Horse archers of your own will crush most attempts to raid supply lines. Also, more archers.
>>
>>2944802
we hussites now.
>>
>>2944638
confined areas
>>
>>2944638
a gun
>>
>>2944969
that's not fair
>>
>>2944978
neither is feigning retreat, all steppe niggers need to die.
>>
File: Hugalu.png (79KB, 867x616px) Image search: [Google]
Hugalu.png
79KB, 867x616px
>>2945127

t. Swadian Knight

lmfao
>>
>>2945146
how the fuck do you pronounce "ibn", why can't it just be bin like osama bin laden
>>
>>2944638
Gorilla warfare
>>
Crossbows.

Barbarians of all kinds fear crossbows.
>>
>>2945217
Thats what the Genose Crossbows thought during Agincourt.
>>
>>2944638
Tanks
>>
>>2945166
ebin
>>
>>2945655
Anglos are the only civilised people to have ever existed though
>>
>>2944829
This. Mounted troops are dog shot against high volume archery. The problem is most of the time Horse archers had better bows and outranged others. The Chinese got curb stomped for this reason even with overwhelming numbers the only thing they had was artillery to fight back.
>>
>>2945655
Shitty leaders who do not know how to use crossbowmen and are only interested in their own prestige leads to loss.
>>
>>2944638
A Hind-D helicopter.
>>
>>2945698
Han dynasty destroyed the Xiongnu empire. Tang dynasty destroyed the Gokturks. Song dynasty's fall was due to internal power struggle. Not their crossbowmens. Ming dynasty lost to Qing due to defects from a general who opened the gates.

I wouldn't say Chinese got curbstomped, internal dissents are plenty for an empire that large.
>>
>>2945662
Actually how I pronounce it
How is it actually pronounced tho
>>
>>2944638

There's no good solution before gunpowder. Foot archers can out-range and out-shoot horse archers (you can pack them close together and get much larger volleys) but of course the horse archers can simply ride away and refuse to engage, plus many horse archers doubled as shock cavalry and could ride down foot archers. Historically, the solution was for settled princes to hire other horse archers to fight them off, this works but has obvious problems of its own.
>>
>>2945772
E-bin not eh-bin. The big E.
>>
>>2945804

An ascendant Chinese Dynasty fought horse archers by using their wealth and power to raise more horse archers than the nomads. The benefits of civilization meant that the Imperial horse archers had access to better equipment and better metallurgy.
>>
>>2945804
Tang dynasty was heavily into crossbowmen and they wiped out the eastern Gokturks and made the western Gokturks flee westward. The Han dynasty also had heavy crossbow but I don't think it was as heavy as Tang dynasty ratiowise. They made forced the Xiongnu empire to collapse. The eastern wing once again were destroyed/assimilated and the western wing fled westward (later became the Huns to the west).
>>
File: 8f1cc9dd15560b7fb97b7bba3e5361eb.jpg (341KB, 930x1225px) Image search: [Google]
8f1cc9dd15560b7fb97b7bba3e5361eb.jpg
341KB, 930x1225px
>>2944802
this
>>
How useful were trenches/wooden spikes/various debris and did anyone employ them to any success?
>>
>>2945838
The nomads live most of their life on horseback and rely on their skills as horse archers to survive a hard existence. It'd be like comparing real cowboys to dude ranchers.
>>
>>2946483
When they conquered steppe tribes, they would join the Chinese ranks and furthermore, their commanders would train Chinese troops.

The Chinese learned how to deal with horse archers effectively in Han dynasty against the Xiongnu, the crossbows.
>>
>>2944638
Best defense would be to assassinate a khan that was charismatic and powerful enough to unite all the other tribes.
>>
>>2946483

It's like comparing one real cowboy to 6 dude ranchers who were trained by cowboy defectors.

Quantity has a quality all to it's own, and a number of steppe nomads accepted vassalage under Han in exchange for a settled life and military service, because having material comforts like a steady food supply, a solid roof, and a heated bed is pretty nice after a life of steppeniggering.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.