[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>watch a promising looking philosophy anime >it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: sartresMuse.png (629KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
sartresMuse.png
629KB, 1000x1500px
>watch a promising looking philosophy anime
>it's Sartre, giving me the Look
>watch another one
>watch another one

Eva, Lain, and Ergo Proxy.

Anyone have good recommendations that veer away from this trend? I don't really mind, but I'm growing weary of getting what appears to be a mystery show, only to end up actually being just a "suspense" show where the audience has too few clues to deduce anything until the show raises a curtain for them, followed by Sartre hopping out from behind the curtain and revealing that it was basically all a creative way to explain the Look or a tangential idea. Yurikuma was a surprisingly good suggestion I got a while ago, it somehow ended up being far more similar to Blade Runner than Ergo Proxy was. Throwing that out there to make the point that (for better or worse) nothing looks too stupid to me at first glance.
>>
I did De Sartre's No Exit for my high school Drama practical piece. I was Garcin.
>>
>>2944405
Well, okay, I guess. Can I watch?
>>
>>2944419
forgot to turn off the name field, I don't actually plan to tripfag
>>
Are you asking for philosophical/intellectual anime that isn't all about existentialism?

There are good manga and novels that never got adapted, but if you insist on anime you could try Hyouge Mono, Shinsekai Yori, Shigurui (the manga is still preferable), Texhnolyze, even Mushishi
Of course if you liked Yurikuma you could check out Mawaru Penguindrum.
>>
>>2944512
>that isn't all about existentialism?
Kinda yeah, it might be that I just have a bad habit of translating all existentialism into Sartre.

>Mushishi
Oh fuck, I got told to watch this ages ago and never did. Thanks anon.

>if you insist on anime
I don't really
>>
>>2944546
Well shit, if we include manga you have a lifetime of reading to look forward to. Here are some.

More centered on personal drama:
- Inio Asano (Oyasumi Punpun, Solanin, Nijigahara Holograph etc)
- Minoru Furuya (Ciguatera, Himizu, Boku to Issho)
- Kyoko Okazaki (Helter Skelter, River's Edge)
- Hideki Arai (Kiichi!!, The World Is Mine)
- Various: half the popular jousei and seinen out there really

More light-hearted and bizarre, usually critical:
- Jiro Matsumoto (Kakumeika no Gogo, Netsutai no Citron, Yuretsuzukeru, Zenryou Naru Itan no Machi)
- Eiji Otsuka (Leviathan, Kurosagi Shitai Takuhaibin)
- Hideo Yamamoto (Koroshiya 1, Homunculus)
- Usamaru Furuya (Litchi Hikari Club, Short Cuts, Palepoli)
- Shintarou Kago (Just pick one)
- Dowman Sayman (Voynich Hotel, Nickelodeon)
- Various: Dainippon Tengutou Ekotoba, Kokumin Quiz, Soil

Tries too hard but it works:
- Suehiro Maruo (any)
- Nishioka Kyoudai (Kokoro no Kanashimi, Kami no Kodomo, Kono Yo no Owari e no Tabi)
- Various: Comics Underground Japan, Copernicus no Kokyuu, Ningen Konchuuki, K no Souretsu, Ubume no Natsu, Innocent

I should have added another category for scifi and cyberpunk but I'm not that fond of them and there would be a huge quality gap.
>>
Are there any Cute Girls Doing Cute Things anime with philosophy themes
>>
>>2945812
There's a manga that teaches the basics of Western Philosophy using cute anime girls to represent the philosophers, if my memory serves correctly.
>>
>>2944512
>Texhnolyze

Pleb detected. Haibane Renmei is objectively ABe's best work
>>
Royal Space Force is objectively the best anime, if you want philosophical content.
>>
>>2946077
That might be true but it's on my backlog so it would be irresponsible to rec it.
>>
>>2946034
do you remember the name
>>
>>2946090
How can one man be so right?

Good taste.
>>
>>2946077
>Haibane Renmei
What? I'm OP and I thought Lain was better. I'll admit HR was a little more cleanly put together, but thats because the first half of the show was almost pure worldbuilding and because the show as a whole was a lot less ambitious.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.