[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was belgium so abhorrently cruel in its colony? Was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Leopold_ii_garter_knight.jpg (136KB, 695x1041px) Image search: [Google]
Leopold_ii_garter_knight.jpg
136KB, 695x1041px
Why was belgium so abhorrently cruel in its colony? Was it all this dudes fault?
>>
>>2944284
idk when European's started to be "civilized" every king ruled through fear, I wonder what makes him special

probably the white vs black argument
>>
>>2944296
yeah that's an amazingly dumb comparison >>>/pol/,

leopolds rule was incredibly cruel and a complete autocracy, the colony was pretty much his playground

can someone with actual knowledge on the subject answer?
>>
>>2944284
When you're not a real country you get a complex and go through a lot of trouble to try and show everyone you're real. Everyone else was into colonialism so That Country just had to join in too but like all faggot poseurs with no identity had to go and ruin it for everyone.
>>
File: french-algeria2.jpg (110KB, 450x554px) Image search: [Google]
french-algeria2.jpg
110KB, 450x554px
>>2944284
That cruelty was pretty much standard practice for the European colonialists, the Belgian Congo were just the most publicized atrocities.
>>
>>2944284
The congo was basically just his colony, belgium at large was not responsible.He was trying to maximize production without regard for human live, the congo basically became an ancap state taken to it's logical extreme. Ironically it was not even eficient in the end, because he was more busy surpressing the natives than making a profit.
>>
>>2944284
>Was it all this dudes fault?
Objectively yes, when control passed to the Belgian state the colony became one of the most paternalistic and well-run in Africa:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Évolué#Belgian_colonies
>>
>>2944350
To be honest what happens in Congo was not exceptional in Africa at all for the time. He just got outed by people earlier compared to the others.
>>
>>2945096
Lol the Evolue are an extremely small part of the Belgian Congo popualce.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.