[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't the Ancient Egyptians ever explore/colonize/conquer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: egypt.jpg (339KB, 730x385px) Image search: [Google]
egypt.jpg
339KB, 730x385px
Why didn't the Ancient Egyptians ever explore/colonize/conquer the Mediterranean? Did they have crappy boats?
>>
File: AE049(L).jpg (65KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
AE049(L).jpg
65KB, 700x525px
yes
>>
They conquered Libya and the Levant a number of times.
>>
File: Egyptworld.jpg (19KB, 731x395px) Image search: [Google]
Egyptworld.jpg
19KB, 731x395px
>>2940388
They conquered the Levant including Syria at times, that's were the richest port towns and the biggest fleets were, Minoans were rich but too far away from Egypt to realistic control it, considering, Egypt had no motivation to conquer it and Minoans themselves had a good fleet to protect themselves with, same with Myceneans, also Egypt didn't really need to control that much alnd, it was already extremely rich
>>
>>2940388
Egypt at different times conquered Israel and nearby areas.

Ptolemaic Egypt even controlled Cyprus.
>>
>>2940445
I think it was Pre Ptolemaic Egypt, like in 500 bc
>>
>>2940447
I'm no Egyptologist, I could be getting my eras mixed up.

But either way, Egyptian civilization was spread outside of modern Egypt.
>>
>>2940388
I'm no Egyptologist but I think that their narrow social structure probably had quite a bit to do with it being not that expansionist. From what I gather when they did go a conquering it was more for the booty than expanding their culture to other areas in an effort for long term territorial expansion. Probably a lack of a middle class that would be motivated to settle in new areas to set themselves up with their own fiefdoms that egypt would of run out of space for and to get profit.
>>
>>2940447
It happened both times
>>
>>2940707
Ah, thanks anon.
>>
They weren't very warlike for their size and technology. They lost most of their wars with neighboring empires.
>>
>>2940563
AFAIK there was literally no middle class in Egypt. It was bronze age communism/state capitalism. The pharaoh and the government controlled all the land and the peasants were just allowed to work them.

At least the Ptolemaic dynasty was like this.
>>
Egyptian identity was entirely based around the river Nile and few Egyptians could really imagine living elsewhere. It was a naturally isolationist culture by geography.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.