[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's become the norm to characterize Odin as being a cruel,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: odin.jpg (62KB, 330x720px)
odin.jpg
62KB, 330x720px
It's become the norm to characterize Odin as being a cruel, untrustworthy god not unlike Loki. Do you agree with this interpretation of him?
>>
>>2934938
It seems pretty well supported by Snurrlson's stuff, which is the biggest source of written material about Norse mythology. Whether or not Snurrlson himself is representative of actual Norse pagan beliefs is less clear though, and as a Christian, he would have an incentive to paint their gods in a less favorable light.

Still, things like the Lokasenna and the Hárbarðsljóð (If you buy that the ferryman is in fact Odin) do make him out to be a rather massive dick.
>>
I don't see why him being a dick is unsurprising, he has to ensure the Indo-Europeans win at Ragnarok, he doesn't have time for being nice.
>>
The entire Nordcuck race is cruel and untrustworthy so it's not surprise their gods follow suit.
>>
>>2934938
Odin is like if your ne'er-do-well alcoholic uncle who lives in his van was turned into a deity.
>>
>>2934961
I read that the ferryman was initially thought to be Loki.
>>
>>2935013
It's thought to be Loki on a few small detail bases; Thor addresses him as someone who is younger than he is, despite the name "Grey-beard", and the ferryman uses some identical insults from Loki's mouth in the Lokasenna.

Still though, since Hárbarðr is one of Odin's alternate names, I think it's more likely than not that the guy is in fact supposed to be Odin, not Loki; but since it's not cut and dry, I left it somewhat open in my post.
>>
>>2935008
That sounds awesome.
>>
>>2935047
Yeah yeah until he uses his magic powers to break into your house to steal your beer and "borrow" your Deep Purple cassettes.
>>
Other incarnations of the Indo-European father-God like Jupiter, Zeus and Indra were also assholes at time so this is unsurprising.
>>
>>2935110
What's Indra like? Does he do stuff like Zeus and shapeshift into animals to bang women.
>>
>>2935114
I don't remember that but he's a drunkard, prideful and pour rains on people out of petty anger. Also he cucks his wife and begets children left and right. He launches thunderbolts at his enemies and rule over the gods atop a the holy Olympus-like mountain Meru. He feasts in a great hall with slain warriors. He defeats a jormungandr-like great world serpent called Vitra. He sustains himself by drinking large amounts of an ambroisy/nectar-like divine drink called soma.
>>
>>2935180
This does sound like other Indo-European deities. Soma sounds like Ambrosia.
>>
>>2934938
Most pagan gods represent some kind of natural force, which can be cruel and unforgiving. Nature is a bitch, ergo, so are the gods
>>
>>2935110
Isn't Thor supposed to be the Jupiter equivalent in norse nythology? Odin is usually interpretated as Mercury.
>>
>>2935110
How was Jupiter an asshole? Roman gods are not generally cuntish, unless you wanna force the greek myth upon them.
>>
>>2935008
"American Gods."
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.