[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where any of the other four beaches as deadly as Omaha? No one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1200px-NormandySupply_edit.jpg (267KB, 1200x920px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-NormandySupply_edit.jpg
267KB, 1200x920px
Where any of the other four beaches as deadly as Omaha? No one ever talks about them.
>>
>>2932550
>Where any of the other four beaches as deadly as Omaha?

No, but that doesn't mean they weren't of equal strategic value. Omaha was bloody because it was a clusterfuck.
>>
>>2932550
No. And though some sections of Omaha were indeed terrible, it was still a 5 mile long beach and only those unlucky enough to land directly in front of defense nests were in machine gun range.

Give this a listen if you have the time; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQaartthWME
>>
>>2932550
Omaha was deadly because the Americans fucked up. The other beach landings were executed pretty much flawlessly.
>>
>>2932587
Due to lack of bombardment, right?
>>
>>2932594
There was adequate bombardment but it was inaccurate. Same thing with bombing from the bombers. Many of the pill boxes and MG nests that were supposed to be destroyed weren't so when they hit the beach there was a lot more resistance than was anticipated. They also underestimated the number if German troops defending the beachhead.
>>
>>2932587
>>2933247
The main difference was Utah landed miles from where they should have, meeting light resistance in the form of half a dozen MGs and a platoons worth of defenders.
The UK beaches were tough and had similar amounts of defenses as Omaha did. The difference was the British tanks made it ashore, whereas the Shermans for Omaha all sank in the waves save 2, which were quickly knocked out before they could eliminate gun positions.

Sword, Juno and Gold were arguably more dangerous beaches than Omaha, as the landing distance itself was closer, giving the defenders a better shot at unloading infantry. But the British had learned from their failed Commando raids that ships and aircraft cannot defeat or defend a beachhead, you need armor and heavy weaponry on the beach unless you want to suffer extremely heavy casualties.
They put a lot of effort into making sure the armor made it to the beach, and their armor did. Many were still knocked out by gunfire, but because most all made it ashore they were able to eliminate gun emplacements and any strong point would quickly be suppressed because "I don't care how thick this concrete is a fucking tank is shooting at me and I have a fucking machine gun" allowing infantry to move up and secure a safe landing for reinforcing waves.

At Omaha, the first wave was combat ineffective within 30 minutes, most dead or wounded, and the survivors completely suppressed. Secondary and tertiary waves arrived under the same volume of fire as the first wave.
This wasn't the case on any of the other beaches.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.