[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Vikings never establish permanent settlements in Ame

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Hector.(Fire.Emblem).full.494482.jpg (431KB, 1345x927px) Image search: [Google]
Hector.(Fire.Emblem).full.494482.jpg
431KB, 1345x927px
Why did Vikings never establish permanent settlements in America

https://youtu.be/HgGRsBOj-y8
>>
>>2931993
It was too far from the homelands of the Norse, and Greenland wasn't a stable enough settlement to support colonization the same way Iceland was for the settling of Greenland. There also wasn't anything to be found that would be worthwhile trading back home, except maybe lumber.

Interactions with the Natives were also antagonistic and though a suitably large army could have claimed some land and made a colony, why the hell would they? There was better land elsewhere, closer to home.
>>
>>2932008
this basically
why bother with the effort to get to vinland when you could raid and eventually settle most of europe
>>
>>2932008
>There was better land elsewhere

where? Russia?
>>
>>2932018
By this point in history, trade was proving a more profitable income source than raiding was, due to the target hardening as a natural result of Vikings being a thing for the past hundred or so years. Plus, most of the settling the Scandi's did was already done.

>>2932025
Iceland, and certain places along the Volga or Dnieper. 'Better' in this case mostly means 'not so full of people violently opposed to your presence there'; it doesn't much matter how fertile or wonderful the land is if the inhabitants are trying to kill you and you don't have the technological advantage of gunpowder to tip the scales in your favor.
>>
>>2932008
I'll also add that trying to ship lumber from Vinland as a trade good would be pretty damn ridiculous, as one of the primary trade exports from the Norse homelands of Sweden and Norway (not so much Denmark) was lumber.

There's no point trying to sell that shit to Greenland because Greenland was poor and sparsely populated AF.

There's no point trying to sell that shit to Iceland because why go all the way over to 'crawling-with-pissed-off-Skraelings' Vinland to gather lumber when you can just do the same thing in far more familiar Norway or Sweden?

There's no point trying to sell that shit anywhere else, because anywhere else would be way closer to Norway and Sweden in the first place so just buy your damn wood from there.
>>
>>2932035
of course. I knew the vinlandsaga was late in the "viking age"
im not thinking properly
>>
>>2932059
Do you think if they had found something more valuable maybe they would have seen it worthwhile?
I can't really think what that commodity would be.
>>
>>2931993

The genetic inferiority of the G*rm manifests itself in an inability to innovate. The G*rm is capable of aping human civilization to a degree, but on finding a virgin wilderness with nothing to loot, pillage, and rape, the tiny G*rm brain is unable to make sense of it.
>>
>>2932080
Honestly, the main problem was that there wasn't a suitable logistical chain back home to support a growing colony. Iceland was settled by people fleeing oppression at home, but it was (somewhat) near the British Isles which was well familiar territory, and also a suitable place to buy food, supplies, anything else that might be needed. Iceland served this role during the exploration and settling of Greenland.

By the time you reach North America, though, you're stretching yourself dangerously thin- plus, this place is so damn far from the homeland, who would come out here except the most utterly desperate?

If the Greenland settlement was more succesful and, say, massive deposits of silver, iron, gold, or some similarly high-value-to-mass-ratio commodity were found in Vinland, MAYBE there could have been Norse colonization of North America.

It makes for a beautiful alternate history, anon, but it would take a lot for long-term Norse settlement of the land to be viable.
>>
I bet they did try to establish a foothold on America and they got wiped out by natives
>>
>>2932122
Not so much wiped out as chased off.
>>
>>2932122
How do you not know this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Anse_aux_Meadows
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.