[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What IS a clan? And how is it different from a family? Why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1167.png (3MB, 1920x1080px)
IMG_1167.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
What IS a clan? And how is it different from a family?

Why don't clans exist anymore?
>>
A Clan is essentially a very large extended family.
>>
>>2931865
>Why don't clans exist anymore?
Because you're american
>>
>>2931865
a clan is a tribe
Tribes don't exist anymore because our society and economy has developed beyond them
>>
>>2931865

A clan is an extended family, typically everyone with a shared ancestor. This is quite different than a tribe, which is a political gathering of people who may or may not share any ancestry and can even be from different language groups: tribes in established western states take the form of political parties or fandoms of various sorts.

As to why clans no longer exist, they kind of do, it's just they no longer hold political or even economic power in the face of hegemonic states. But, whenever a society collapses, it is the clan that emerges first as the main stabilizing force.
>>
>>2931865
?
>>
>>2931932
But they do still exist anon. For fucks sake: Family conglomerate is still a common thing.
And a clan is just a extended version of that, which do exist in a lot of forms.
>>
>>2931865
>What IS a clan? And how is it different from a family?

A CLAN IS CONSISTS IN THE COLLECTIVE AGGREGATE OF INDIVIDUALS SHARING A SURNAME.

A FAMILY IS A PARTICULAR SOCIAL UNIT, WHICH CAN BE NUCLEAR, OR EXTENDED.

THE CLAN, AND THE FAMILY, ARE SUBCATEGORIES OF ETHNOTRIBALISM; THE ETHNOTRIBALIST HIERARCHY IS ARRANGED THUS:

1. ETHNICITY COMPRISES:
2. TRIBE COMPRISES:
3. CLAN COMPRISES:
4. FAMILY.

THERE ARE STILL CLANS, BUT CLANNISH IDENTITY HAS BEEN LARGELY REPLACED BY MORE GENERAL ETHNIC IDENTITY, BESIDE, ANTITRIBALISM HAS BEEN GRADUALLY GROWING ALL OVER THE WORLD.
>>
>>2931932
False

A clan is PART of a tribe
>>
>>2931865
Don't have a clan hombre, but my Sippe is big.
>>
>>2931947
The Anglo conducted highland clearances to turn Scotland into a game reserve.
>>
>>2931999

Wrong, tribes and clans are not related concepts, a tribe is a political organization typically headed by a king, a clan is just an extended family. Anyone (in theory) can join a tribe, but you are born into a clan (or if you're a woman you marry into one).
>>
Are clans just an Anglo things?
>>
>>2931865

the structure goes like this; a family - a clan - a tribe - a people

they still exists just that in todays society they arent simply kinship based, theres political clans and corporate clans and criminal clans, and often they are the same thing, theres also people with large extended failies or cultures where a third or fourth cousin is still basically assumed to be treated as close family, meaning in many cultures people are still tribal just fine, and in fact in large swats of the planet it still functions just like it did a hundred years ago, these things are realy resilient
>>
clans are bigger and usually are political disposed to the prosperity of the clan as opposed to another political entity (though are not a political entity onto itself, that would be a tribe).
>>
>>2931865
America used nuclear families to destroy the concept of a clan in their country

it's still exist in other countries
>>
>>2933775
You say this, despite "Clan" being a Celtic word

Are you a retard?
>>
File: labawknu.jpg (79KB, 960x603px) Image search: [Google]
labawknu.jpg
79KB, 960x603px
Among Kachin people what they call "clans" (in English) are still very strong.

Take pic related. The L in L Bawk Nu stands for Lahpai, which is the clan she is from and a very large one that you could arguably call an ethnic group and they are not geographically central in these days. I have met Kachins with pamphlets detailing their family/clan histories. One of the rules is that you can't marry someone from the same clan, and certain clans have preferences to marry people from other clans.

For someone like L Bawk Nu to make a few assumptions, she is:

>Lahpai Clan
>Jinghpaw Ethnicity (Jinghpaw is also a language)
>Kachin Nationality
>Myanmar Citizen.
>>
File: 2.jpg (194KB, 1132x1698px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
194KB, 1132x1698px
I'm part of a clan and a tribe and they are two different things, at least for >us:

A tribe, some would say, its like a race and you are part of the tribe your mum is, always, your dad's being irrelevant. Some argue >we should change this because some people who look 100% White or Black who descend from a matrilineal line are members of our tribe and therefore race, but people who are "half" are not because their dad is the member of the tribe and their mum is not. One anthropologist told me a lot of peoples do this, that is a way of keeping the "tribe" or "race" pure, back then they could only be sure you were your mum's child.

A clan, like some other anons said, its like and extended family, and in my case, I'm part of my dad's clan, who at the same time, is part of another tribe. Sometimes I joke is more like a club because I don't know most of the members of the clan nor are they closely related to us.

Before you ask, there is no conflict here regarding inter tribe marriages, it was actually promoted because of a weird idea of what incest was, but there are some clans which predominate in some tribes. At the same time, every tribe/race has its own language, and your name is written in said language, in my case I have a Anglo name (not related to the tribe or anything FUCK YOU DAD EVERYBODY MAKES FUN OF ME REEEEEE) and my last name is the name of my dad which is written in another language and the suffix meaning "son of" written in the language of my mum's tribe.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.