[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't Sichuanese considered its own language rather

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: deng.jpg (641KB, 1000x1172px) Image search: [Google]
deng.jpg
641KB, 1000x1172px
Why isn't Sichuanese considered its own language rather than just a dialect of Mandarin? Apparently it shares less lexical similarity with Mandarin than Spanish does with Portuguese or French does with Italian.

>Only 47.8% of Sichuanese vocabulary is in common with the Beijing dialect on which Standard Chinese is based; indeed Sichuanese shares more vocabulary with the Xiang and Gan varieties of Chinese, even though Sichuanese is usually classified as a dialect of Mandarin.[1]
>Although "Sichuanese" is often synonymous with the Chengdu-Chongqing dialect, there is still a great amount of diversity among the Sichuanese dialects, some of which are mutually unintelligible with each other or standard Mandarin.
>It has 5 tones instead of 4, and somewhat different grammar rules.
> Although Sichuanese is generally classified as a dialect of Mandarin Chinese, it is highly divergent in phonology, vocabulary, and even grammar from Standard Chinese.[61]

Pic unrelated.
>>
because Sichuan is only good for their spicy food which is great btw

t. Chinese dude
>>
>>2927055
ONE CHINA, you indubitably imperialist trickster of dissents! With highly cramped arms will we tirelessly toil for the language of unity in our land. Peking dialect is an obvious neutral choice.
>>
Because Chinese "dialects" would actually be considered as different languages by our standards. Sichuanese vs Standard Mandarin is much less different that Cantonese Vs. Mandarin.
>>
>>2927055
Didn't Sichuan have a big population drop during a revolt in the Qing dynasty? I was under the impression that there aren't many sichuanese speakers left after thatand the central government can get away with saying it's just a dilaect beacuse of that.
>>
>>2927110
Sichuanese still has over 100 million native speakers.
>>
The CCP is scared shitless of what will (emphasis on will) happen when the Chinese people get restless. The bloodshed that will occur when China balkanizes - and it will - will be tremendous. It's simply the fate of China, an empire long united must soon divide, and an empire long divided must soon unite.

So the CCP is attempting to kick the can down the road by getting rid of ANY divisions. One China, One Language, One People. Ignore the tremendous linguistic, cultural, ethnic, and religious diversity please.
>>
>>2927142
>So the CCP is attempting to kick the can down the road by getting rid of ANY divisions. One China, One Language, One People. Ignore the tremendous linguistic, cultural, ethnic, and religious diversity please.

I know why the CCP would do so, but why does the rest of the world not consider Sichuanese a separate language? Like for example, in any of the thousands of publications listing the world's most spoken languages, Sichuanese is invariably just lumped in to Mandarin's numbers rather than being listed as the #10 most spoken language in the world on its own.
>>
>>2927142
>long united
>70 years
>still not united if counting Taiwan
We got a long way to go Gordon G. Chang
>>
>>2927055

The difference between a "language" and a "dialect" is political, not linguistic. Scots is considered a "dialect" of English, while Frisian is considered a totally different language, and the Romance languages are all different languages despite being more or less mutually intelligible.
>>
>>2927165
Hey, I'm not saying it'll happen anytime SOON, but that's why the CCP is trying to kick the can NOW instead of in 100 or so years when the Hui decide they want to suck Saudi cock, or the Zhuang chimp out, or people start to feel more loyalty to their province, etc etc etc.

>>2927153
Because the numbers are given by the CCP and the CCP lists them as the numbers of a dialect rather than a language. Why do individual academics care what the CCP thinks? Because the CCP is an independent and important country and not doing what they want is "offensive". I personally think more academics should tell the CCP to pound sand but that's just me.
>>
>>2927177
The romance languages are not all mutually intelligible.
>>
>>2927055
There are many different branches of Mandarin. Sichuanese is considered a dialect of Southwestern Mandarin. Of course it wouldn't have much mutual intelligibility with Beijing Mandarin. But they both descend from a common Mandarin language ancestor.
>>
>>2927630
there's generally a spectrum of intelligibility where languages or at least certain dialects that exist near each other are mutually intelligible, even across national borders
>>
>>2927630

Yes they are you stupid monoglot cunt. Maybe not French, it's quite divergent, tho even French in its written form is easily comprehensible by other Romance speakers.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.