[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any philosophies/philosophers that reject civilization

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1489900080917.png (250KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1489900080917.png
250KB, 800x800px
Are there any philosophies/philosophers that reject civilization and advocate man's return to his primitive brutal self?
>>
the cynics
>>
>>2923648

Yes.
>>
>>2923655

Care to elaborate anon?
>>
Anarcho-primitivism?

also I get the vibe this is what Rousseau wanted, but he realized that we were past the point of no return
>>
>>2923664

Yes, there are such philosophers.
>>
luddite?
>>
Nietzsche wasn't exactly 'anti-civilization' but he thought that Reason walked hand in hand with decadence and Instinct was the greater virtue.
>>
>>2923705
don't even understand why a person would think that
>>
File: zhuangzi-butterfly-pine-nap.jpg (49KB, 470x352px) Image search: [Google]
zhuangzi-butterfly-pine-nap.jpg
49KB, 470x352px
>>2923648
Daoism. In order to reach the original, nameless Way, it basically calls for you to forget about education, ritual, law, and manners.
>>
Ted Kaczynsky
>>
>>2923750
Not a philosopher.
>>
>>2923764

Why? Because he wasn't a member of the American Philosopher's Union? Anyone can be a philosopher, the Unabomber certainly qualifies.
>>
>>2923764
I disagree. Reading his manifesto, I'd say he qualifies as a philosopher of the postmodern era
>>
>>2924344
That shitwork?
>>
File: MO200610101060023AR.jpg (160KB, 1191x689px) Image search: [Google]
MO200610101060023AR.jpg
160KB, 1191x689px
Deep ecology
>>
This is a topic I've been very interested in, and it definitely shows in my taste of art, which tends to focus on primitive things. I think pretty much all of humanities problems would go away if we returned to our natural pre-agricultural state, or at least very basic farming in single "households." Individual issues like depression, anxiety, and just general unfulfillment and unhappiness can be linked to how displaced we are from the setting we spent millions of years evolving to live in. Don't get me started on imaginary meta-meta-meta ideas like politics, economics, and stuff like that. There are a few good things that came out of civilization and education, like music and the modern concept of love, but overall, civilization was a mistake, and the farther away we move from nature and our natural selves, the more we damage ourselves in a blind effort to increase our ability to survive and create order. A return to our natural state would be the "ultimate conclusion" of the saying "ignorance is bliss," and it really is.

But I also think that it's pretty much impossible to escape modern society in this world, so you may as well adapt and try to get along until you die.
>>
>>2923648
Robert E. Howard. Maybe not a philosopher but a writer who held these beliefs.
>>
File: 1493410733156.jpg (62KB, 736x397px) Image search: [Google]
1493410733156.jpg
62KB, 736x397px
>>2923648
Diogenes.
>Fuck possessions, live homeless and countryless
>ALEXANDER GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE SUNLIGHT
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.