[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Persians call themselves, their capital and their country?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

How did Persians call themselves, their capital and their country?
Did that name and perception of self change over time?

No greeks and shitty greek names allowed.
>>
>>2921993
Achaemenids called their nation, land, and people as "Parsa". Sassanids always used Eranshar which could generally translate as "realm or land" of Aryans. Persia and Persis as you indicate come from Greek and Roman localizations of their names and identities. Other then the Arab invasion and fall of the Sassanids, they always saw their homeland as Pars before it became "Fars". Darius the Great's Behistun's inscription hits it square on the head.

>I am Dâryavuš, the great king, king of kings, the king of Pârsa, the king of countries, the son of Hystaspes, the grandson of Arsames, the Achaemenid.
>King Darius says: My father is Vištâspa; the father of Vištâspa was Aršâma; the father of Aršâma was Ariyâramna; the father of Ariyâramna was Cišpiš; the father of Cišpiš was Haxâmaniš.
>>
>>2922036
Good post, thank you.
>>
>>2921993
Greeks were usually pretty good about not changing names unless it was a phonetic/phonotactic issue. For example, the Persian city of "Chushan" became "Susa" because Greek had neither the Ch or Sh sounds, hence they both became S.

Occasionally they would add the suffix -polis to city names for clarity (-polis literally just means "city), hence the Greek name "Persepolis", aka "Persia city" for what the Persians simply called "Parsa", which was also the Persian name for the whole empire.

Does that help?
>>
>>2922036
>>2922128
Also the Sassanids would call themselves the rules of "Iran and Aniran" but we don't really know the exact distinction between tehm
>>
>>2922154
Iran - the land where aryans live.
Aniran - the rest of the planet.
King of Iran and Aniran = king of the aryans and all men.
>>
>>2922154
It looks like "Aniran" literally means un-Iran, aka lands outside of Iran.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniran

<Anīrān (Modern Persian) or Anērān (Middle Persian) is an ethno-linguistic term that signifies "non-Iranian" or "non-Iran" (non-Aryan). Thus, in a general sense, 'Aniran' signifies lands where Iranian languages are not spoken. In a pejorative sense, it denotes "a political and religious enemy of Iran and Zoroastrianism."[1]>
>>
>>2922170
The article also states Aniran used in some texts to mean non-Zoroastrian, where Iran means Zoroastrian.
So it can be religious, not about language. We can't be sure I guess, but since both the language and religion were tied to the land where Iran historically was, I think >>2922163 fits.
>>
>>2922178
Yeah, the conflation of language, land, ethnicity, religion, etc. is nothing new. Look at how difficult it is to define who counts as "Jewish".
>>
>>2922183
Its easy if you define "jewish" first. Do you mean the religion? Then these and these people. Do you mean the genetic cluster of the alleged tribe? Then those guys.

Like the evergreen meme Ashkenazi jews for example, who are probably not even "jews" in the genetic sense, but adopted the culture.
>>
>>2922154
Generally speaking Aniran tends to denote "non-Iranians", for example the Romans and Byzantines/Eastern Romans were always put under Aniran.
>>
>>2921993
>>2922036
Eranshahr can also be spelled as Iranshahr.

Eran and Iran are both pronounced as saying the letter "E" and then "run". "E"-"Run".
>>
>>2924033
And I guess shahr is from shah, which is king.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.