[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Buddhism get proven as the one true religion by the fact

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: congratsmate.png (9KB, 128x190px) Image search: [Google]
congratsmate.png
9KB, 128x190px
Did Buddhism get proven as the one true religion by the fact Tibetan monks meditated their way into 30 times stronger gamma waves than normal humans? Has any other religion yielded objective results like that?

http://www.pnas.org/content/101/46/16369.full
>>
>>2918959
>gamma waves
>>>/sci/
>>
>>2918962

This isn't science, it's humanities.
>>
>>2918959
tl;dr
>These data suggest that mental training [...] may induce short-term and long-term neural changes.
wooooooaaaaaahhhh
almost as if the brain was plastic or something
>>
>>2918969

Missing the point, brainlet. By analogy, obviously weight lifting can increase physical strength. But if a specific kind of weight lifting practice resulted in 30 times as much physical strength as a normie, then that would be noteworthy. The Tibetan monks they did this test on literally produced a gamma signal 30 times stronger than what normal people can produce. The magical bullshit of their religion's teachings isn't just magical bullshit because their brains are actually able to do something much better than normal people's brains can do, with the difference being so great that the researchers originally assumed they just fucked up the equipment and kept on bringing in other monks and running the experiment again and again only to find the same results held consistently.
>>
Give me a rundown, what superpowers does this give them? Can they set things on first with their mind?
>>
>>2919015

They can maintain awareness while in dreams (lucid dreaming), consciously alter their own body temperature (tummo), and have an increased immune response to shit like the flu.
>>
>>2919036

But isn't that possible with pretty much any kind of mental training for the length of time that these monks have been practicing? Most people who've done something for thirty years straight are probably really good at whatever it is that they do.
>>
>>2919488

Brandon Sanderson still sucks.
>>
>>2919488

>But isn't that possible with pretty much any kind of mental training for the length of time that these monks have been practicing?

No. I don't understand why you would even begin to think that. Doing crossword puzzles for twenty years straight isn't going to let you do what Tibetan monks do. It'll probably just let you become really good at crossword puzzles, which is something totally different.
>>
Wow. Something that every intelligent human who isn't a dogmatic materialist knew since the dawn of man (that meditation produces tangible results) is now shocking the fedora wearing masses.
>>
>>2918997
Wtf o gamma rays do. If you cant prove they do shit then its as good as worthless
>>
>>2920049
Who said anything about crosswords?
>>
>>2920062

See:

>>2919488

>But isn't that possible with pretty much any kind of mental training for the length of time that these monks have been practicing?

Crosswords counts as a member of the set of "pretty much any kind of mental training."
>>
>>2919488
You can't be a marathon runner if you simply do pushups. Nor can you be a pushup expert if you simply run.

Using the term "mental training" as a catch all term doesn't distinguish the difference in training and the difference in effects. A car driver will not be a meditation expert. A christian monk who prays wont be master at meditation.
>>
>>2920121
>A christian monk who prays wont be master at meditation.
What about a Christian monk who....meditates?
>>
>>2918959
wtf i love gamma rays now
>>
>>2920137
t. Banner
>>
>struggling to understand a basic concept
so this... is the power... of.. modern science.....
>>
>>2920135
If that Christian monk does vipassana, then he will be a vipassana meditation expert. Otherwise, its simply christian meditation. Which I have no clue about.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.