[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Britain so autistic about maintaining a balance of power

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Imperialism_Octopus.jpg (106KB, 552x561px) Image search: [Google]
Imperialism_Octopus.jpg
106KB, 552x561px
Why was Britain so autistic about maintaining a balance of power on the continent?
>>
>>2918081
Fear is one thing, but there was also this notion that a lot of work had to be done to rid the bankers of their power had Germany been allowed to grow. That's not good for publicity.
>>
File: British_Empire.png (35KB, 1425x625px) Image search: [Google]
British_Empire.png
35KB, 1425x625px
So no one power could get enough resources to land on England or threaten the Empire. Divide and conquer.
>>
>>2918081
Security and fear, two of the main driving motivations for any government throughout history.

Having one single nation on the European Continent that had the ability to defeat all other powers combined in a war would spell doom for the British Empire and everyone involved, and that fear was real with the unification of Germany and the triple alliance between them, Austria, and Italy.

After Germany and Italy's unification, the status quo set up by the Congress of Vienna was broken and all sides had to ensure their security some other way, leading to said triple alliance as well as the Entente between Britain, France, and Russia.

and all the European powers had full reason to fear Germany and the balance of power, with World War I proving that just Germany and Austria, along with the Ottomans, could hold back the entire might of Europe for 4 years, and only broke due to sheer exhaustion rather than some decisive military defeat.
>>
So that AngloAmericans could eventually become the new Rome. Which we did in '47 by correcting their greatest mistake.
>>
>>2918081
I always laugh at 19th and 20th century political cartoons complaining about Britain's meddling in Europe by portraying have legs wrapped around territory, and it turns out to be like Gibralta, Malta, Heligoland, Channel islands etc, when like Corsica is bigger than all of them combined
>>
>>2918081
Because if one continental European power became dominant they could finally challenge and end British tyranny, hence why the British are so buttblasted over the EU.
>>
>>2918405
>the new Rome
America has been the leading world power since the 50s and already they're under threat from being surpassed. Not doing well so far.
>>
>>2918110
>decisive military defeat
>muh stab in the back
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.