[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the Republic of Ireland never go to war to conquer the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Ireland.png (100KB, 333x400px) Image search: [Google]
Ireland.png
100KB, 333x400px
Why did the Republic of Ireland never go to war to conquer the Northern counties?
>>
Because in any conventional war the bongs would rape them
>>
>>2917251
They tried.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_War_of_Independence
>>
>>2917251

Because they know they'd get absolutely kerbstomped? Plus why go to war when demographics will do it for you politically within a hundred years anyway?
>>
>>2917251
Because it was much poorer and had far less people, and didn't have a global empire. It's capacity to wage war was much smaller than the UKs.
>>
>>2917256
Irishfag here, I always wondered why the brits even accepted a ceasefire surely they had the means to win if they continued, did the yanks put pressure on them or something?
>>
File: dev2.jpg (1MB, 1100x1328px) Image search: [Google]
dev2.jpg
1MB, 1100x1328px
because of sellouts in the country
this hook nosed kike from the US i refer to
>>
Well I guess the first point would be because the population of Northern Ireland voted NOT to be a part of the Free State.

Since then it has had cordial relations with Britain as a strong partner in trade .

If it started a war there would be little support from any of Ireland's allies as they would be literally starting a war for land grabbing which is very out of vogue these days and it would be against a NATO member.

Britain could easily blockade their ports and destroy their air force and could effectively cause another famine.

All that aside though the real answer is because Ireland leans to a pacifists ideal on all of it's mainstream political sphere and never gets involved in any wars let alone start them.
>>
>>2917269

Going through the bloodiest war in history immediately prior kind of put a dampner on people marching off to fight another one.
>>
>>2917269
Bong here, I'm pretty sure it was a culmination of:
>US debts on UK and pressure from Irish-Americans
>UK having no stomach for war after ww1, especially a long insurgency
>More to loose than gain by holding on to Ireland that wasn't very lucrative for the empire
>And above all public opposition to the war as ww1 was seen as a war of self determination which would be undermined if the UK then suppressed the Irish (links to 1st point and WW 14 points bullshit)
Long story sort I'm pretty sure we only tried to hold on because of the symbolic implications of part of the British isles being independent.
>>
>>2917269
They already tried to give Ireland home rule but WWI broke out and the North was threatening civil war over it.

When shit hit the fan afterwards it was more like "Eh no point fighting over this might as well give them what they want now and wipe our hands clean"

If there was any pressure the actually conspiracy was that the Germans during WWI were arming and funding the insurgencies and Britain wanted it to go away
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.