[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I saw a thread on [spoilers]the Song of Ice and Fire subreddit,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: 1494711761579.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1494711761579.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
I saw a thread on [spoilers]the Song of Ice and Fire subreddit, I don't really know where else to get news about the books[/spoiler] and someone asked a few questions about real medieval warfare. These are a few snippets of the responses.
>"peasants were forced into combat wielding nothing but farming tools"
>"knights had no formal combat training or concept of martial arts, they were well-equipped brawlers"
>"medieval battles were usually just two huge masses rushing at each other, after the fall of the Roman Empire strategy and tactics were completely forgotten about until the Renaissance"
>"armor was basically useless and was worn only for decorative purposes, a sword would go right through it"
Where do people get these ideas from
>>
Fantasy books like The Song of Ice and Fire.
>>
1 is longstanding meme in popular culture before ice and fire
2 is reactionary counterswing to the romanticized ideal of chivalry
3rd is same as the first, victorian or renaissance borne snobbery
4th is whatever. I remember an otherwise well written and archaeologically minded book suggesting that any armor that wasn't soft or organic material was ceremonial. So bronze plate found during the Mycenaean period would be ceremonial to them.
>>
File: illuminati.jpg (132KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
illuminati.jpg
132KB, 1600x900px
>>2903066
>"armor was basically useless and was worn only for decorative purposes, a sword would go right through it"
what the hell! Do people actually believe this?
>>
File: img-thing.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>2903175
>>2903175
Look at how thin that is. It would be as easy as driving a kitchen knife through a soda can
>>
>>2903091
>So bronze plate found during the Mycenaean period would be ceremonial to them.
Well in most uses it probably was, it's not like ancient society had a war every week, I don't know why they couldn't be both ceremonial and practical though
>>
>>2903091
>bronze plate found during the Mycenaean period would be ceremonial to them.
Well I can buy that the Dendra panoply only saw ceremonial use, it always looked fucking stupid to me.
>>
>>2903329
You realize that's top of the line professionally made armour, right? You'd need a mace or a cavalry charge to make a dent in that.
>>
>>2903066
like me to it I want to see this for myself
>>
File: at least I hope it is.jpg (498KB, 1350x2000px) Image search: [Google]
at least I hope it is.jpg
498KB, 1350x2000px
>>2903329
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.