[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This map was drawn by by Portuguese cartographer Bartolomeu Velho

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 800px-Bartolomeu_Velho_1568.jpg (152KB, 800x590px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Bartolomeu_Velho_1568.jpg
152KB, 800x590px
This map was drawn by by Portuguese cartographer Bartolomeu Velho in 1568. HOW THE HELL did he get the continents borders so perfect? HOW?
>>
>>2898444
wow that's pretty cool, i have no idea, i'd say he combined multiple local maps, if i were to guess
>>
>>2898444
By travelling along the coast and measuring distances and angles? Seems pretty easy to me. 1568 is like 50 years after the peak of the discoveries, plenty of time to travel and measure.
>>
>>2898444
>>2898515
After looking closer at the map im actually more intregued by what firmamento is, what takes 36k years to orbit earth?
>>
>>2898532
>what takes 36k years to orbit earth?
Sounds like a question for google.
>>
>>2898559
I've look for it and it seems to be the limit of the universe, at least how they perceived it, it was a biblical reference to a supposed dome that enclosed the universe.
>>
>>2898563
>t was a biblical reference to a supposed dome that enclosed the universe.
Sounds more neoplatonic or something. Either way during this time metaphysics and esotericism co-existed with natural sciences so i'm not surprised it'd be referenced.
>>
Portuguese navigators rutters were highly valued.
Rutters were navigational guides that listed day by day progress along the specific route. They recorded everything helpful for future expeditions, from landmarks to wind patterns in the seasons.
>>
>>2898444
wow anon that actually is a neat map
the borders of africa, the arabian penisula, and indian subcontinent are nearly perfect. that's quite the feat.
>>
>>2898532
The stars or firmament, check a bigger version of the map. They calculated the Precession of earth to 36k years.
>>
People underestimate the intelligence of middle ages/early renaissance Europe. Even during the crappy plague times it was still the worlds leader in science
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.