[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did the practice of treating total strangers with such respect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Head_Odysseus_MAR_Sperlonga.jpg (753KB, 1600x1893px) Image search: [Google]
Head_Odysseus_MAR_Sperlonga.jpg
753KB, 1600x1893px
How did the practice of treating total strangers with such respect come about? Why did it disappear?
>>
File: image.jpg (491KB, 1020x672px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
491KB, 1020x672px
Bedouins are still scrupulous in their practice of hospitality.
>>
Not sure how Christianity managed to destroy it. However, Zeus was the God of suppliants so to treat a visitor poorly was to ask for trouble with the gods.
>>
>>2894591
It's an integral part of human psychology called reciprocity. We give each other things, and receive things in return. As for where it comes from, I don't know. Evolution, probably.

Source: Dr. Robert Cialdini's writings on social psychology
>>
Because the world used to be far more dangerous. Travel between distant locations was at the speed of foot, or at best hoof, and took for-fucking-ever. There are few inns or hotels you could stop at for the night, so that means while traveling you either made camp or you had to take refuge with a local.

This is where the sacred law of hospitality came from. If it didn't exist, travel would be impossible, because people would dick over their hosts, hosts would stop supporting strange wanderers, and travel would grind to a halt. This was unacceptable, so Sacred Hospitality was given great importance. Hosts were warned not to abuse their guests, because they may be angels, or mighty Zeus in disguise. Guests were warned never to offend their hosts.

As travel became faster and safer in the modern age the idea of offering your home to strangers became unnecessary and ultimately lost its significance.
>>
>>2895176
As people rely on each other less I expect we're losing other forms of hospitality too. Like how now you can find whatever internet subculture/ideology appeals most, instead of being forced to come to terms with people around you.

Maybe the notion of discourse will disappear altogether.
>>
>>2894591
Sacred law.

Everywhere from the Arctic to Australia to America to Japan had the same idea. Guest can NEVER harm host, and host must NEVER harm guest.
>>
>>2896749

Well the tradition is in some very old religions, I wonder how far back the idea actually goes.
>>
>>2894591
Blame modern society
>>
File: heathens.jpg (19KB, 428x428px) Image search: [Google]
heathens.jpg
19KB, 428x428px
Pretty sure that many different religions believed that Gods and mystical beings would disguise themselves as humans and if you helped them you would be rewarded but if not you would be punished. So one would surmise that helping strangers is best way to minimize risk of gods wrath and maybe even be rewarded. Same thing applies to people as that stranger could be a warrior or noble so it is better to avoid offending a warrior and befriending a noble. On a more basic and primitive level you should respect a stranger because then in turn you will be respected. Most people only kill other people who act like cunts to them and so if you don't act like a cunt, you are less likely to be killed by a stranger and more likely to make a friend and a man is only worth his social capital. Literally the golden rule principle.
>>
>>2894591

Blood feuds between families, or even wars between nations, have been started because of relatively trivial bullshit. Disrespecting the wrong person at the wrong time is a great way to end up headless. Besides that, large cities which prided themselves on being centers of trade wanted outsiders to feel welcome and safe so that merchants would come from far and wide to exchange goods.
>>
>>2894591
Niggers
>>
>>2894591
I imagine people were sick of their Sons being killed and their daughters raped
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.