[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The "dark ages". It was only dark in Europe. The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1428102400715.jpg (133KB, 780x818px) Image search: [Google]
1428102400715.jpg
133KB, 780x818px
>The "dark ages". It was only dark in Europe. The rest of the world was thriving with knowledge and expansion. The Dark Ages is a eurocentric view on history which is now no longer called "Dark Ages" but the early to middle ages.

Why is normie history so cancerous?
>>
>implying that's wrong
>implying there wasn't plenty of advancement even in Europe during the Middle Ages
>>
File: O5vj6wE.gif (2MB, 400x206px) Image search: [Google]
O5vj6wE.gif
2MB, 400x206px
>>2892873
>normie history

>as if the belief that the dark ages were the worst thing ever isn't the actual, wrong normie history
>>
It doesn't make sense because the dark ages always refered to Western Europe. If I talk about the warring states period It's implied I mean China. Not the whole world.

It seems like an issue of retardation. Somebody was so stupid when they were taught about the dark ages growing they said. "HURRR DUREE BUR WUT ABOOT DIIS PLACE DUHH" like the driveling non-human they were. And some advice to whoever said that. "Early Middle Ages" specifically means Europe also.
>>
>>2892894
this. There was plenty of advancement everywhere in the "Dark Ages" (except in non-saharan africa)
>>
>>2892873
>>The "dark ages". It was only dark in Europe. The rest of the world was thriving with knowledge and expansion.
Yeah no shit? The Warring States period was exclusive to China but nobody spergs out over the use of the term
>>
>>2892873
http://lesswrong.com/lw/2pv/intellectual_hipsters_and_metacontrarianism/

Because they're only on one level of contrarianism, my dude.
>>
>>2892873
The dark ages were pretty dark for the Near East. That was the era when repeated wars with the Byzantines and social stagnation led to takeover by a band of religious fanatics from the Arabian desert.
>>
File: 642x999_7190683.jpg (18KB, 642x363px) Image search: [Google]
642x999_7190683.jpg
18KB, 642x363px
>>2892873
The term 'middle ages' still has the same negative connotations similar to the 'Dark Ages'. 'Middle' refers to the view that these centuries are a intermediary between the glory of the Roman period and the cultural revival after this middle period starting with the Renaissance.
>>
>>2892960
That's a fair way of looking at the situation, though. The main disputes are where the "dark" ages eased up and began to transform into something more advanced.

I tend to agree with people who put that at the cathedral era, which is a few centuries earlier than the Renaissance itself. Building cathedrals was a massive and skilled enterprise that required advances in various fields of technology, and wasn't achievable for a while after the fall of western Rome.
>>
>>2892965
The medieval culture was actually pretty vibrant following the initial decline period after the collapse of the Roman empire (5-8th century). 'Dark Ages' initially refers to periods with a lack of any literary / written sources, but the term was bastardized to mean a cultureless and barbaric time. Cfr. the Dark Ages after the Doric invasion and the collapse of the Mediterranean civilizations after 1200 BC until the Greek miracle of the 8th century BC
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.