[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the deal with the Greek city states? Did alexander the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1395800315813.jpg (412KB, 700x970px) Image search: [Google]
1395800315813.jpg
412KB, 700x970px
What was the deal with the Greek city states?
Did alexander the great conquer them all?

All I learned in school was: they existed, then alexander happened, and then we never spoke of them again. Give me the 411 on Greece homeslice.
>>
File: 1413419545320.jpg (30KB, 500x640px) Image search: [Google]
1413419545320.jpg
30KB, 500x640px
>no one knows
>>
>>2870610
no

Philip II of Macedon, who after invading southern Greece and receiving the submission of other key city-states, sent a message to Sparta:

You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city.[3]

The Spartan ephors replied with a single word:

If.[4]

Subsequently, neither Philip nor his son Alexander the Great attempted to capture the city. Philip is also recorded as approaching Sparta on another (?) occasion and asking whether he should come as friend or foe; the reply was "Neither"
>>
>>2870610
Alexander the Great's father basically made them his puppets by establishing the League of Corinth.

That's all I know on the topic I know. I don't know if anything happened between then and Alexanders conquests.
>>
>>2870823
You realise they tried to backstab Alexander whilst he was off but got crushed by the reinforcements that were mustering in Greece and accepted nominal Macedonian hegemony but just got let off tribute payment?
Sparta was weak by this period
>>
>>2870610
After Alexander died, the greek city states (the ones that were also in the corinthian league) revolted, Antipater won that war and put pro-Macedonian government in them.
After that monarchy happened, in fact in the following Macedonian wars, Rome used the excuse to "liberate" Greece.
>>
After Alexander, Rome swept them up
>>
>>2870823
>IF

Sparta, by the time of Philip II of Macedon, was absolutely irrelevant.
They didn't even bother subjugating it.

Main Greel powers at the time were Thebes, Athens, and Corinth in continental Greece, Syracuse, Tarentum and Agrigentum in Magna Graecia
>>
>>2870823
because sparta was literally irrelevant at that point
>>
>>2870842
and then they all just became part of Rome?
>>
If Athens and Sparta and fucking THEBES had stopped backstabbing each other for a hot second they could have nipped Macedon in the bud.
>>
>>2870610
>What was the deal with the Greek city states?

In the north, Athenians slowly come to prominence in large part due to the development of their sea-borne trade routes and diplomatic skills.

In the south, Spartans slowly come to prominence due to their emphasis on developing a professional military, and using it to conquer and enslave their neighbors.

Athens and Sparta, both, develop local allies, and establish confederations that begin to compete with each other. They eventually come into conflict, and Athens eventually suffers a devastating loss, losing their greatest asset, their fleet. Over time, Sparta suffers from internal issues, and losses on the battlefield they can't easily replace, leading to stronger allies eventually marginalizing their leadership roles in any confederations.

Eventually, the allies of Athens and Sparta assume leadership roles due to not having risked and lost as much as either. The Macedonians, under Philip II, win the support of the northern Greeks by war and diplomacy, and both Athens and Sparta are too weak to challenge his rule. By the time Alexander takes charge, he has enough allies and forces to keep the Greeks in line, and can focus on destroying the Persians.

When Alexander finally destroys the Persians and dies, the Greeks fight for control of the Persian empire, and their leaders and forces are scattered all over the world. Meanwhile, the Romans are unified in their quest for conquest and take advantage of the chaos in Greece to assert their control. The Romans attack in Greece in the guise of "aiding" those city-states willing to serve under Rome. Greece is so weakened at this stage that they can't defeat the Romans, and are eventually absorbed into the empire.

Basically, greed, corruption, and endless wars bled Athens and Sparta, alike, to death.
>>
>>2870610
>not a single post about transformation of political regimes of Greek cities
>>
>>2872379
Then post it senpai.
This entire thread proves how ignorant everyone is in general about the Greeks.
Enlighten us. We need it.
>>
>>2872182
Yes, until the 1400s when they became Ottomans. And that lasted another good 600 years, and then they became Greece.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.