[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any reason for us humans having such a hard time engaging

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: gettingchili.png (101KB, 175x285px) Image search: [Google]
gettingchili.png
101KB, 175x285px
Is there any reason for us humans having such a hard time engaging someone we disagree with without insulting them, whether it be internally or externally?

Is it normal to think everyone we disagree with is an idiot? And why is it so easy (especially online, but it used to happen in antiquity as well) to outright claim anyone with a vastly different view from us shouldn't even be given the opportunity to voice their toughs?

I mean, I guess the first reason is that we somehow feel dissenting opinions are a threat to us in some way, and it's not always unfounded, but it does seem like an odd natural reaction to something that surely we didn't initially evolved to deal with.
>>
It's a combination of a huge ego, sensitive feelings, and the fact that most people have a us or them mentality.
>>
>>2869966
I would also factor in that we have anonymity, at least as far as this site goes. The layer of anonymity lets people shoot their mouth off and voice their innermost thoughts and feelings. The fact that there is zero stigma attached to you afterward gives one a sense of boldness.
>>
>>2869966
most people engauge in harmative acts masqueraiding as some greater good, i find to be the most common cause

true evil in a civilised world is that shit day to day to occurances of huge ramifications that compile year after year. i hate it. i hate these people. i accept i am/was once one myself, and am seeking to change such, and not be violent to others whilst doing so. sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me

some dumb ass chimped nigger that never passed third grade dont know that shit, at least aim, work towards it
>>
Considering we're apes it's a fucking miracle every time a simple disagreement doesn't devolve in to a literal shitflinging screaming slap fight
>>
Sometimes times on /his/ i'm just peer pressured into using insulting and derogatory language. Blame the board culture. On the other hand plenty of times I just feel like it and there's been legit times I've wished i could strangle certain posters.
>>
>>2869923
an understanding of property rights is the basis of western civilisation i dont care who you are, like to like
>>
>>2869969
I've seen people vomit out harsher opinions on Facebook with their real pictures and names than in this site at times.

>>2869978
I agree with you. Don't think you responded to the right thread tho.
>>
>>2869923
From a social perspective, arguing is about establishing authority. It's about who gets to be the leader and decide what's true and who has to shut up and listen.
>>
>>2870002
this. We're not here to get find truth, we're here to *win*.

Faggot.
>>
>>2869966
I think it's more that people think they are more "rational" than they really are and they do this thing subconsciously
So they suffer from this kind of mindset where
>I have my opinion
>This opinion must have basis, otherwise I wouldn't have this opinion
>That guy said my opinion is wrong
>But my opinion has basis and I can't think of why other guys opinion would be right
>Because if I knew why other guys opinion would be right, I would have that opinion instead
>Therefore he must be wrong
>He does not have my opinion, meaning he doesn''t understand my reasoning on why my opinion is correct
>Because if he did, he would have my opinion instead.
>I cannot assume I am stupid, otherwise I would know my opinion has a faulty basis and therefore not have an opinion
>But I do have an opinion, and I have that opinion for reasons I believe are valid
>Therefore he must be the idiot

I fucked up the logic somewhere in there but that's my understanding of it.
>>
>>2870011
No that's pretty well said
>>
>>2870011
Good answer. This is how it is for me.

Being aware of this fact, tho, throws a wrench into that whole process and it makes it really hard to stand for any one opinion.

So in turn you sometimes must either accept that there is no 1 right opinion, and stand for an opinion you know is faulty, or be always inconclusive and suffer from that thing where you can't act because you can't decide on anything.
>>
>>2869991
No doubt about that, I have seen people air their personal crap about personal drama that only affects a small social group but was harsh as hell. I forgot about that stuff until you reminded me there, so I should concede that I was wrong, thanks for bringing that up anon.
>>
>>2869923
>Is there any reason for us humans having such a hard time engaging someone we disagree with without insulting theM.
You grow up, once you hit about 25 all the stuff that you need to be an adult starts to work finally , albeit very badly. you then have 5-10 years of working out how your brain works now its no longer got the teenage bit left init. Teenage isnt a set of defined years, its the brain between about 10-25 but culture tries to fool you otherwise, mostly to sell you more expensive products so you can pretend you are a grown up. The conversations here are mostly ephemeral, without substance - those conversing gain a fact and then build a world view around it which is peer revieed by other teens using google. Getting angry is going to happen because the content is so poor and mostly copied from google and wiki not knowledge learned through hard slog of books and investigation.
>>
Disagreements don't carry weight any more. Nothing matters. We're no longer innawoods organized along small hunter gatherers bands fighting for survival any more. Oy vey you disagreed with Professor Shekelstein on TV who said children should be trans and take hormones or you think Bannon is a crypto white nationalist and you hate him or you think purpled haired Sjw hambeasts are icky.

Big whoop. None of this matters. It carries no weight. You've never disagreed with anyone in a meaningful manner in your entire life.
>>
>>2869923
>is there any reason for insulting
The way I see it, we insult others because they are against what you believe. However we can disagree with what others believe without insulting them. So whats the difference? The difference is matter of importance we place on certain things, with compounding factor of our limited brain capacity to fully understand the situation. Basically ego + limited brain resource to fully understand the situation/idea.

>Is it normal
Possibly. Most humans are egoist and have limited brain capacity. Plus their self-awareness is very limited.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.