[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Jesus Christ the most profound philosopher in human history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: jesuschrist1.jpg (33KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
jesuschrist1.jpg
33KB, 620x400px
Was Jesus Christ the most profound philosopher in human history? Let's set aside all the garbage about him being divine or a religious figure and focus solely on his teachings as per the Bible. No person in history has had such an acute insight into the nature of humanity. Jesus teachings cut straight to the heart of what it is to be human and live, reconciling the fact we desire ever more material things and yet they will never satisfy you. The knowledge of, and profound fear of death that people have. That hate begets hate and that love, forgiveness and tolerance are the only things that can guide humanity to a better future.

We've had hacks like Nietzsche, Stirner and Hume who have desperately tried to sweep these issues under the table. But only one man in all of history had a view of humanity so clear that we still talk about him today. Jesus Christ.
>>
File: The Pieta.jpg (628KB, 1584x1660px) Image search: [Google]
The Pieta.jpg
628KB, 1584x1660px
I have found myself drawn to Christianity lately. Like not just being cultural Christian or an admirer of the story, but believing in the whole thing.

I feel like the man in G. K. Chesterton's metaphor that walked all over the world only to come back home again..

Christianity is the most potent religion on the planet. Jesus Christ was an insignificant man in life that died brutally on the edges of an empire, yet he is the most recognized and everlasting figure in the history of the world.

There is a durability in the Christian vision and an allure to the man, no doubt about that
>>
>>2862390
Not that I disagree but I'd like to keep religion and arguments about Christianity out of this if possible and just focus solely on the philosophy of Jesus Christ as a person.
>>
>>2862391
Sorry. I do think he has unique insight into love. There is something he said that has always stuck with me, even in my most edgy atheist days. He remarked that merely loving others who love you is not a virtue, for even the most wicked among us do the same (paraphrasing).

It is true, isn't it? Most people in our prisons, guilty of the most heinous crimes, retain friendships with their fellow kind and a love for their mother at the very least.
>>
>>2862381
>But only one man in all of history had a view of humanity so clear that we still talk about him today. Jesus Christ.

Have you ever thought about justify your statements?
>>
>>2862381
which passages do you find profound? I really don't see them that way, especially when you get to passages in John where he's basically just saying to people "hey I'm God". A lot of it is purely theological, like the quote in the OP. it certainly sounds profound on a surface level, but it's really just part of a theological tract comparing the rewards of this world vs. his heavenly kingdom.
>>
Deep.
>>
>>2862514
Basically all of his parables. I don't think the theological implications of them are a big deal since they mostly focus on the transient nature of material things which are true regardless of whether or not heaven actually exists.
>>
>>2862514
>he's basically just saying to people "hey I'm God"
That's the point. The idea of that a human could be God changed the world. God was a little baby with a mother who grew up and died. This elevated the dignity of humanity, most importantly of the peasants and slaves.
>>
>>2862381
You're wrong. It'seems always the Greeks. Christian philosophy is useless without Christian faith. Plato or Confucius are the most important because they influenced the most people through (inherently) worldly philosophy and did not rely on the crutch of faith to justify their beliefs.
>>
File: isis42.jpg (21KB, 500x289px) Image search: [Google]
isis42.jpg
21KB, 500x289px
>>2862569

>What if I told you that the culmination of philosophy, and the 7 sciences is, in fact, the core of Christian Philosophy and Faith but that most people don't understand why.......
>>
File: 1475660546536-vg.png (2KB, 239x258px) Image search: [Google]
1475660546536-vg.png
2KB, 239x258px
>>2862396

shuuuuut uuuuuuuup

jesus Christians are fucking annoying when they ramble
>>
>>2862381
>as per the Bible

Why as per the bible and not as per the gnostic gospels or apocrypha?
>>
> No person in history has had such an acute insight into the nature of humanity.
This is a nice little phantasy you got there.
>>
>>2863273
>QQ
Thanks for the insightful comment bitch
>>
>>2863296
fuck off retard

we can tell how deeply up your own ass you are by the smug, generalized, and vague arguments you use. Whats annoying is when you ramble online like that expecting to convince anyone of anything other than your own delusional state.
>>
>>2863284
Jesus and Buddha both had levels of human understanding that were basically unmatched, they just had different specialties in how they used that understanding.
>>
>>2862381

https://www.reddit.com/r/im14andthisisdeep
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.