[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There is extensive evidence for a history of cow worship in cave

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1495644175427.jpg (47KB, 400x710px) Image search: [Google]
1495644175427.jpg
47KB, 400x710px
There is extensive evidence for a history of cow worship in cave art from paleolithic Spain, Hindu veneration of the cow, Minoan motifs, Greek mythology (Zeus' association with the bull), Egyptian mythology (Hathor), Sumerian (the bull of heaven killed by Gilgamesh), and the Levant (the gods Ba'al Hadad and El, not to mention of course the golden calf mentioned in the Bible.) Beyond this, we have the veneration of cattle to modern day pastoralist groups throughout the MENA desert regions.

So the question is, just how far did this cattle cult stretch in the ancient world and where did it begin? It doesn't seem to have ever existed beyond the scope of the modern Indo-European and Afro-Asiatic spheres.
>>
>>2861210
It was worshiped in the Americas too.
>>
>>2861210
Is there any claim for ritual sexual intercourse between cows and humans?
>>
>>2861210
I can't really comment on the spread outside of the area you mentioned but I suppose it would spread anywhere ancient people kept cattle. In western Slovenia, old beliefs supposedly survived into the mid-20th century (some say small communities have managed to carry on the old beliefs into the 21st century, even) - among them the worship of the black bull in the sky, which was in the 1920s said to be worshipped by shepherds.
>>
>>2863337
Slovenian folklore seems pretty interesting from what I've gathered. Too bad it's hard to find any sources on it that are not in Slovene. (In a perfect world I would learn Slovene, but in reality it's not very feasible for me at the moment.)
>>
>>2863348
You're right. Still, you might find some material in English here (it's also where I found this information on the bull): http://sms.zrc-sazu.si/En/kazalo.html
>>
>>2863352
>http://sms.zrc-sazu.si/En/kazalo.html

Thank you, I'll look into it. I'm actually familiar with this journal, they've had some interesting things on pre-Christian Carantania.
>>
>>2861210
>Why did cultures who had cattle use cattle in mythology?
>>
Read Jung and you'll find out
>>
File: 1362424506757.png (254KB, 610x311px) Image search: [Google]
1362424506757.png
254KB, 610x311px
>>2861210
To the stars my friend.
>>
File: Catal_Hüyük,_bull_heads.jpg (110KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
Catal_Hüyük,_bull_heads.jpg
110KB, 1280x850px
>>2861210

Why didn't you mention Gobekli Tepe and TAURUS mountains.
>>
>>2861210
Not sure Zeus is a great example, though -- the number of other things he turned into to fuck human women is so huge, he is an example of almost everything.
>>
>>2864832
I think all of those is just some ancient story of animal totem tribes that stole women to establish their own settlments and families and then claimed it be a divine action.
>>
File: Haplogroup-J2.jpg (124KB, 800x581px) Image search: [Google]
Haplogroup-J2.jpg
124KB, 800x581px
>>2861210
>>
>>2863386
I should also mention, these beliefs predated Slavic settlement and were apparently of Celtic origin. In some isolated communities in the same region of Slovenia, other beliefs were said to have persisted into the 20th century (possibly 21st century? - one of the academics researching the topic claims this)) as well, namely the worship of sacred stones. This apparently predates Celtic settlement and is said to have been prevalent in the stone age.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.