[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Non-American here. So did Robert E. Lee own slaves or what?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: robert-e-lee-9377163-1-402.jpg (148KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
robert-e-lee-9377163-1-402.jpg
148KB, 1200x1200px
Non-American here.

So did Robert E. Lee own slaves or what? And why do democrats get off Scot free with the "muh slaves" card? I thought they were cunts to slaves as well.

Seems to be a very misunderstood and over emotional part of U.S. history.
>>
>>2857909
>So did Robert E. Lee own slaves or what?

Yes.

>And why do democrats get off Scot free with the "muh slaves" card?

I don't know what you're referring to with this. Slavery was a North vs. South issue. The northern states outlawed slavery, while the South embraced it. The Democrats were not an anti-slavery party. Most abolitionists were Republicans, including Abraham Lincoln. The Republican party was primarily northern, urban, and pro-business. They didn't become "the racist party" until a hundred years later in 1968, when the Democratic party embraced the civil rights movement and thereby lost the racist vote, which the Republicans were happy to take from them.
>>
>>2857909

yes. Although he was against slavery oddly enough and thought it was "evil"

>And why do democrats get off Scot free with the "muh slaves" card? I thought they were cunts to slaves as well.

southern strategy. Interesting to note that all the south were democrats and Lincoln was the first Republican president
>>
>>2858084
>southern strategy

Biggest liberal meme of all time
>>
>>2857909

He was raised in Southern aristocracy, what do you think?

>And why do democrats get off Scot free with the "muh slaves" card? I thought they were cunts to slaves as well.

Liberals run the media and conveniently overlook that part when autistically screeching about "MUH SLAVERY" to shame everyone who won't suck niggerdick (or do in the case of Milo).

Come to think of it, neither Democrats or Republicans should be using those names because neither of them even remotely resembles their 19th Century counterpart.
>>
File: 1495301191633.jpg (111KB, 1024x507px) Image search: [Google]
1495301191633.jpg
111KB, 1024x507px
>>
>>2858232

https://www.thenation.com/article/exclusive-lee-atwaters-infamous-1981-interview-southern-strategy/

>You start out in 1954 by saying, “Nigger, nigger, nigger.” By 1968 you can’t say “nigger”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nigger, nigger.”
>>
>>2858232
>GOP still pretending the party switch never happened
>>
File: George_h_w_bush_lee_atwater_jam.jpg (53KB, 915x539px) Image search: [Google]
George_h_w_bush_lee_atwater_jam.jpg
53KB, 915x539px
>>2858232
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_8E3ENrKrQ
>>
>>2860037

It was only partial. Northern Catholics have always leaned Democratic, while blacks switched to the Democratic Party in the 1930s because of the New Deal.
>>
>>2859836
>>2860025

>There is a difference between remembrance of history and reverence of it. For America and New Orleans, it has been a long, winding road, marked by great tragedy and great triumph. But we cannot be afraid of our truth.

>So today I want to speak about why we chose to remove these four monuments to the Lost Cause of the Confederacy, but also how and why this process can move us towards healing and understanding of each other.

So, let’s start with the facts.

>The historic record is clear: the Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, and P.G.T. Beauregard statues were not erected just to honor these men, but as part of the movement which became known as The Cult of the Lost Cause. This ‘cult’ had one goal — through monuments and through other means — to rewrite history to hide the truth, which is that the Confederacy was on the wrong side of humanity.

>First erected over 166 years after the founding of our city and 19 years after the end of the Civil War, the monuments that we took down were meant to rebrand the history of our city and the ideals of a defeated Confederacy.

>It is self-evident that these men did not fight for the United States of America, They fought against it. They may have been warriors, but in this cause they were not patriots.

>These statues are not just stone and metal. They are not just innocent remembrances of a benign history. These monuments purposefully celebrate a fictional, sanitized Confederacy; ignoring the death, ignoring the enslavement, and the terror that it actually stood for.

>After the Civil War, these statues were a part of that terrorism as much as a burning cross on someone’s lawn; they were erected purposefully to send a strong message to all who walked in their shadows about who was still in charge in this city.

http://pulsegulfcoast.com/2017/05/transcript-of-new-orleans-mayor-landrieus-address-on-confederate-monuments
>>
>>2858002
>1968, when the Democratic party embraced the civil rights movement and thereby lost the racist vote, which the Republicans were happy to take from them

It's a bit more complicated than that. LBJ shepherded the civil rights act but it was primarily Republicans that voted for it and only one of the many Democrats who voted against it switched to the GOP. The South didn't become a reliably Republican bastion until the 2000s.
>>
>>2857909

Southern Democrats were mainly the ones who supported slavery and later segregation. The Democrats and Republicans in the 20th century sort of switched places. It's really noticable in the 60s when like >>2858002 said the Democrats embraced the Civil Rights Movement, but you can see signs of it in the 40s and 50s. Even up to the 90s the Democrats had a serious presence in the South.
>>
>>2860098
>the Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, and P.G.T. Beauregard statues were not erected just to honor these men, but as part of the movement which became known as The Cult of the Lost Cause
>facts
>>
>>2860108
>LBJ shepherded the civil rights act
Which absolves him of fighting against earlier civil rights acts in the Senate.
>>
>>2860115
No one today doubts that LBJs switch on civil rights was a completely cynical move. It's always been obvious that he never stopped hating blacks, and I don't think anyone actually believes otherwise, right or left.
>>
Fuck now I remember this fired gamer who pretends to be libertarian but recently made a video full of butthurt against "those who worship the traitors to the state"
I'm mad.
>>
>>2860111

They were statues erected decades after the civil war to revere men who engaged in treason to defend a system where millions of human beings were owned as property, yes.
>>
File: 390850238592835.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
390850238592835.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
>americans will call confederates traitors without a hint of irony
>>
>>2860154
this
>>
>>2860168

At least we didn't attack China for trying to ban opium.
>>
>>2860154
This. As a Louisianian, I've made this point, and it falls on deaf ears. It would be different if the statutues were built right after the war, but they were put up to spite those interested in racial progress. All I hear back is "muh history."

I personally would have left the Robert E. Lee statute up as a compromise. While he participated in much moral evil, he still had his virtues and he did good things after the war.
>>
>>2860168

This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XopTzydodY
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.